Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

help

Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default help

i am going to put a fan on my boat ware do in start. lost
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

We need some info before we can really give any advice. What do you have for a boat? Why do you think you need a fan? What are you hoping to achieve by going with a fan? How big is your wallet? Have you seen other fans? Been on a boat with a fan?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bill, I guess the first thing to decide is how big do you want to go. Your boat would probably do great with 12-20 hp. Several boats (4 I think) had the 28hp Kawasaki motor with a 42" Composite prop. I noticed that mine was the only one w/o a belt reduction.
Then look at this link, http://www.arrowprop.com/
Once you're completely confused, Call their number and talk with Don. He has seen every type of set-up out there. and has more experience than anyone.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Bill, Like K said, the guy at Arrowprop will get you set up with the right motor and prop.
Did you check out the different fan set ups at the state shoot? Looking at the different boats and different steering/throttles/fan shrouds/stands and whatnot is a good start.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like my fan connected to the end of the shaft that is mounted on the bow.....Works really good underwater.... And cheap too! LOL
Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, that's what I thought too.

...before I rode on a fan boat.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I was very surprised to find how much I absolutely loved my fan. Makes bowfishing completely different. Just point the stick where you want to go and hang on. Sand bars, stumps, logs, no problem. We just bump right over them. Also after two weekends with the fan, we're fishing twice as fast, and covering twice the water. I could shoot fish just fine without the fan, but now I've eliminated so many frustrations and bowfishing is just more fun. Not everyone feels the same way I do.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Fan cons:

1) Noiser than a troller
2) Slightly more work to steer, particularly in windy conditions
3) More gas
4) Have to watch out for fan height trees, branches, bridges
5) Sometimes, you go too fast

Pros:
1) Having a fan is awesome
2) No more troller tangled in weeds
3) No more troller hitting bottom and spooking fish
4) It's awesome
5) Go over logs, brush and other obstructions that would make a troller curl up and cry.
6) You can go faster
7) You don't get the water all mudded up like you do with troller
8) It's awesome
9) If you don't want to talk to somebody you can just say "Sorry, can't hear you. Fan."
10) It gets rid of bugs
11) Fish seem less scared of it than of the troller
12) If it has mechanical problems, you can likely fix it. It doesn't just quit and click at you like a broken troller, which probably needs another 'board' even though you just had the last one replaced last month and only had it on the water twice since then and how come it always takes two weeks to get the thing fixed? Heck they have it longer at the shop than we have it on the boat. And how come there's only one minnkota repair place within 40 miles? But I digress....
13) It doesn't drain batteries or need a converter. If you have gas, you have 100% power
14) It looks cool
Old 05-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Spike

thanks for all the help going to start looking for parts