Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Youth tournament at Carlyle

Old 04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Here's one of the prizes a lucky younster will win at this tournament.

Thanks to Oneida for the great donation!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

carpsniper, yes im lookin for a ride on the spillway????/ i d love to go out there some.....anybody have room? and possbily a ride for the tournament

Last edited by i_bowfish93; 04-23-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Spike

If the adult shooter/shooters was to leave their bow in the vehicle and come back in to get their bow @ 10:00 could I take a youth shooter out at 8:00 come in at 4:00 for the youth weigh in and then go back out until 6:00 for the adult weigh in.......or something to that effect?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Willie-nillie, We're trying to make it as fun as possible so we're not being very draconian with our rules. We are allowing kids/adults to sign up in both tournys. (well, kids can be in both and adults can be in the Classic and still take kids out for the youth tourny) The only catch is that you have to then be at both rules meetings and at both weigh-ins.

We expect the adults to be good role models and that there will be no cheating involved.

Only common carp, buffalo and gar count for the Classic. Youth can weigh-in any legal fish.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Posted on Thu, Apr. 29, 2010
Carlyle Lake to host bowfishing events

Competitions for youths and adults will be held Saturday

BY ROD KLOECKNER
News-Democrat

Bowfishers of all ages will be out in force Saturday at Carlyle Lake.

Two major bowfishing events are being held simultaneously on the lake and below the dam on the Kaskakia River spillway.

The first is the Passing on the Tradition's 2010 Illinois Youth Bowfishing Championship, which starts at 8 a.m. and runs until 4 p.m. The second is the Lake Carlyle Classic, which starts at 10 a.m. and concludes at 6 p.m.

Illinois Bowfishers are sponsoring both events, while the Bowfishing Association of Southern Illinois is a co-sponsor of the youth championship. Both tournaments will launch from the Coles Creek Boat Ramp, which also will be the site of the weigh-in and awards ceremonies.

Ryan Perigo, the state representative for the Passing on the Tradition support group, said it's no coincidence both bowfishing events are taking place at the same time.

"We put ours on Carlyle because the Carlyle Classic is on at the same time for adults," Perigo said. "We came to the conclusion that maybe for the first year, we'll include a youth shoot with it. The guys that are already fishing Carlyle can bring a kid on the boat with them and kill two birds with one stone."

Based out of Kentucky and established in 2006, the Passing on the Tradition Organization is a group of men and women from the outdoor community dedicated to sharing their knowledge and skills with the next generation of hunting and fishing enthusiasts.

According to a banner on the group's website, they offer "today's youth a healthy alternative" and are "dedicated to creating lifelong memories one event at a time."

"What we're trying to tie in with kids is that this is a healthy alternative," Perigo said. "Events like this promote hunting and fishing and the great outdoors as a positive alternative to negative issues facing today's youth."

Illinois is one of seven states holding a state youth bowfishing championship. Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and Wisconsin are also staging similar events on June 12, which has been deemed "National Youth Bowfishing Day."

Perigo said Illinois has its state championship Saturday because the Two Rivers Family Fishing Fair is being held June 12 at Pere Marquette State Park near Grafton.

"I spearhead all the events for the kids, and we'll have 1,000 to 2,000 up there that day," Perigo said. "That's why we've scheduled this event for May 1."

The Illinois Youth Bowfishing Championship is open to boys and girls age 17 and under that are accompanied by an individual sponsor (sponsors may take more than one child). There are three age groups -- 10 and under, 11 to 14 and 15 to 17.

Division winners will be the greatest weight with two "rough" fish. In Illinois, only nonsport fish can be legally taken by bowfishing. That means no bass, bluegill, crappie or catfish, just all species of carp, buffalo, gar and sucker and bowfin.

Awards will be presented for overall winner and first, second and third places in each division, plus longest gar. The overall winner will receive a new youth Oneida bow.

There is a $10 entry fee. Perigo is expecting anywhere from 100 and 150 youths.

"That's what they're predicting and if we get more than that, I'll be blown away," he said. "I've had a bunch of calls from guys down south who are bringing their kids and this is their first time. Everybody should be on an even playing field."

Perigo said boats aren't required. He said many anglers who do have boats often park them on the shore and walk the edges, hunting for fish.

"It's not a big-time money tournament," Perigo said. "It's a tournament to get people involved in it. Even if we don't have that many people -- say we get just one kid -- I'll be perfectly fine. That's one kid we were able to make a difference.

"It's an easy sport with a lot of fast action. I know I fish with some people and if they don't catch fish in the first few minutes, they're done. This is so much easier to do. You're shooting 15-20 pound fish all day long. That gets you going."

Perigo said the spillway from the dam to the swinging bridge, which recently opened to bowfishing by boat only year-round, will be off-limits.

"We don't want to overwhelm them for the first year," Perigo said. "They can go on the Kaskaskia south and wherever they want on Carlyle. They just opened it up for bowfishing, and we don't want to overwhelm them with 100 people down there just shooting everywhere and making everybody mad."

The Lake Carlyle Classic, which is in its second year, is a big 15 format. Anglers will weigh in their biggest 15 carp, gar and buffalo (maximum of five each per species. Heaviest stringer wins.

Entry fee is $30 per person for nonmembers of Illinois Bowfishers, $20 per person for Illinois Bowfishers members. Juniors (17 and under) shoot free with a paying adult. There is a maximum of three shooters per boat/team, and an optional big fish pot of $10 per team.
Contact reporter Rod Kloeckner at [email protected] or 239-2663.

© 2007 Belleville News-Democrat and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.belleville.com
Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Free hotdogs/burgers will provided for the youth participants. Smoked pork sandwiches with sides will be available to the adults for only 3.50.

Thanks to the Shameless Smokers for providing the food!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Forecast is for winds between 5-6 mph from 8am to 8pm with only a 30% chance of rain.

Mid 70's.

Carp should be up splashing in the shallows big time.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

We're loading all the prizes and stuff for both tournaments now.

This is the kid's stuff (besides the bow)
Ryan has worked very hard to round up several hundred dollars worth of prizes for the youth.

Pins that each Youth participant will get. (shout out to www.huntingpins.com !)

Boxes o' goodies.

Plaques.

Of course we have door prizes for the Carlyle Classic tournament as well.. and the cash payout.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

well it's about 4:30 am and there is hardly even a breeze.

...should be a great day to shoot some fish!
Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

whata great day at carlyle classic....took a swim with my waders on...fryed my fone...had a blast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.