HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   any deer slayers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/307237-any-deer-slayers.html)

Johnny b 10-19-2009 04:46 AM

any deer slayers

Are there any deer slayers out there? I know KBI-Prez shot a spike last week. Any one else?? I keep looking at my boat and sure would like to get out at least one more time. but just do not see it happening. Snuffy has been catching trout. he splits his days deer hunting and then trout fishing. Sure would like to see the farmers be able to get into the fields and get some of this corn down. Around my house there are all standing corn fields that are full of deer. We are finding very little sign in the woods. You would think that they would be turning on to oak' acorns but not around here yet. I sat on a white oak ridge all yesterday afternoon and did not see a deer.

HNI_Christine 10-20-2009 09:46 AM

Let's see.

Deadly Deb has taken two does. Lethal Louie has taken five does and 1 buck. Killer Kendall has taken a button buck. I only have one dinky doe to my credit so far.

I really haven't been able to get out as much as I like. K has been out there a lot. He passed up several small bucks and three does. (The does because there was a big ten pointer following them, but he never had a shot)

HNI_Christine 10-20-2009 09:52 AM

This little guy entertained me on opening morning.

Making a little rub.

He actually ate a whole hickory nut! It was very crunchy.

He's smiling! ;)

Johnny b 10-20-2009 10:34 AM

Pretty cool. Glad to hear that some meat is hitting the freezer. I have yet to see any horns while on stand. Still too much standing corn around here. They are out cutting beans today.

HNI_Christine 10-20-2009 03:22 PM

I just got this from Jarad. Nice!!

HNI_Christine 10-20-2009 03:29 PM

Here's a picture of Louie's buck.

Fishhunter 10-20-2009 08:10 PM

nice, very nice. had a ten pointer that just couldn't follow the path that would have offered a perfect 15yard chip shot. He just had to stay about 3 yards the other side behind some saplings. So a few days later took out a doe and a button within 6 minutes of each other. Took the hearts, liver, a roast and a bag of burger to an older Indian woman. She'll be taking one of the hearts to their next ceremony.

Johnny b 10-22-2009 06:56 AM

Nice deer. That Jarad is on a tear. That is a dandy 8pt. Nice and heavy, Lou's is very nice also. Have not seen anything like those from the stand yet. Just a matter of time tho.

Chasebaker 10-22-2009 08:13 PM

everything jared killed this year is big!

JRW 10-25-2009 07:58 PM

I've only killed one buck and a turkey this fall. It's been slow, but very enjoyable.

carpsniper 11-02-2009 05:25 PM

My biggest buck so far. Too bad it suffered considerable ground shrinkage from Coyotes.

Johnny b 11-03-2009 03:50 AM

Congradulations, Nice deer. I take it you had to leave it over night. I know the coyotes are out of control. I just seen a study out in N. Carolina that the coyotes are killing 3 out of every 4 fawns. That is going to have serious impact on the deer population. I have a trail camera picture of a coyote with a fawn in it's mouth. Back to deer hunting. Been seeing some nice bucks but nothing in range yet. Just a matter of time...

dpj1030 11-03-2009 04:07 AM

I've got one spike :/

jerry nicholson 11-03-2009 03:39 PM

Sept. and Oct. were turkeyless for me but Nov. has started good. Called in 4 ol gobblers and put down a 20 pounder with 8 in. beard. Missed on bird number 2.Good thing in hind sight.If he would have gone 10 yrds. he would have fell into the creek and in this case,with all the rain,would not have been recovered.

Johnny b 11-05-2009 01:59 PM

Finally closed the deal this morning at 10am. Shot a nice 8pt. Was smaller than I though when I got to him. He came in behind me and looked pretty good, so i decided to shoot him. In hind sight i guess i made my mine up too soon. Ended up shooting him at 7 yds. Really should have let him pass. But what do they say about hind sight.

HNI_Christine 11-08-2009 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got these pictures from Slim today. Dang nice buck!

153 3/8"

HNI_Christine 11-16-2009 03:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cliff's awesome buck! Congrats Cliff!

jerry nicholson 11-16-2009 05:14 PM

Called in and stuck another long beard 11/15. He must have been the brother to the one I shot 2 weeks ago. 8in. beard 19lbs.Came in by himself.Can't wait till spring!

Johnny b 11-16-2009 05:34 PM

Last week i staked down a road kill out in my back field. Just 214 yds from my kitchen window. Well today around 8am a coyote decided to have a morning bite to eat. Well he got bit by a 110 gr. v-max .270. Dropped him in his tracks did not take another step. kicked and that was it. Just wonder how many deer i saved. he was a wopper we weighed him on my deer scale and he topped it at 50# even. My buddy Tommy Mac who is here deer hunting with me, skinned him out and is going to make a quiver out of him..first dog of the year.

HNI_Christine 11-21-2009 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice turkeys Jerry!

Johnny, a 50 lb coyote! Nice.

Here's my doe I took out at Mackinaw on the opening morning of shotgun season.

jerry nicholson 11-21-2009 03:14 PM

Nice deer Christine. How far was the shot?

HNI_Christine 11-21-2009 04:06 PM

First shot was at 47 yards. Wasn't sure where I hit her and she came running towards me. So I shot again. (that was at about 10 yards) Ended up that I her through the heart both times. Not much heart left after that.

I didn't even hit myself in the forehead with the scope like I did when I was sighting the gun in. :D

Johnny b 11-23-2009 05:42 AM

Congrad's, Madam President. Wow, it was all I could do not to go bow fishing this past weekend. I even did try and talk the misses into going on Saturday. Would be great if it would be that nice next weekend. Especially with mr. Extreme coming over from Iowa. One more fishing trip is what I need. Then to the barn for the boat for the season. Have not put the boat away yet just for the slim chance to get out..Happy Thanksgiving to everyone...johnny b.

jerry nicholson 11-23-2009 06:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If I did this correctly, here are pics of 2 fall turkeys.

jerry nicholson 11-23-2009 06:13 PM

Maybe next time they will be upright.

deer_predator 11-24-2009 06:50 AM

1st deer of the year..

Well this is the latest I have been without my first one down....It was a 38 yard shot. Since then I took another doe gun season (no pics of that one).....With my knee being goofed up and the crops being in, it has been one tuff year.

Oh yea....and this is the quality of the bucks I have been seeing....arggggggggg!~!!

carpsniper 11-24-2009 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by deer_predator (Post 3510721)
Oh yea....and this is the quality of the bucks I have been seeing....arggggggggg!~!!

Looks like some good quality meat to me! :barmy:

deer_predator 11-25-2009 02:16 AM

Oh yea, very nice meat...however this is the property I bow hunt and been trying to deer manage it since 1999. We have went from seeing nothing but these little guys to 140+ bucks....You tend to let the little ones walk...LOL..

Johnny b 11-26-2009 06:19 AM

Takes little ones to make Big ones. Story that I am trying to sell around my place. unfortuantly I got a guy who has to shoot everything that walks past. Score so far two does with bow, found one. One small 10 pt buck one small 8 pt buck and a 60 pound yearling. he is not done yet. Will be back next weekend with his tags and his father in laws. Wait it get better. During Muzzle loader season he is giving his tags to his father in law. They never have heard about gun laws. Not my property so I have no say..

HNI_Christine 11-26-2009 06:50 AM

You hunt in some pretty steep terrain Jerry. ;) Congrats again on the turkeys. I have yet to even shoot at an IL turkey with gun or bow.

JohnnyB, You might want to consider making a phone call to the local CPO about the tags. :(

jerry nicholson 12-08-2009 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to NE. over the weekend. Picked out 4 x-mas turkeys and played them a song with my one string.

HNI_Christine 12-14-2009 10:47 AM

Most impressive Jerry!

I got my first archery 'yote on Friday. I was on the ground wearing a rancho safari shaggy suit. He never saw me and gave me a fleeting 17 yard shot as he trotted through the grass and goldenrod. I had to draw, swing and aim like I was shooting a buffalo fish. :D

He's actually a big coyote but it's hard to tell because he has more scabs and crust than fur. The picture actually makes him look much better than he really was. Gross.

I've washed my arrow twice and it still stinks. :s8:

HNI_Christine 12-14-2009 05:43 PM

Got these pictures from Alex Grable.

He got himself a nice lil buck. ;)

Johnny b 12-15-2009 07:41 AM

Congradulations guys. Nice shot on the coyote, I have yet to get one with my bow. Just never quite close enough. Alex, wow nice deer. Glad to see you can shoot other things besides fish. That guy is a dandy. Too tell the truth I have missed more deer since taking up bow fishing than I ever did before. Just cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I do know that I shoot less tho than i ever have. That is not good when you shoot instictive.

jerry nicholson 12-16-2009 05:05 PM

Johnny b, you put on a big head clinic for me last summer.I don't think you do no wrong with a bow.Christine that is cool!I have never got close with a bow.The ol boy does look tired.

HNI_Christine 12-16-2009 05:50 PM

Matt Clark got himself a buck too. Not too bad of one at that. ;)

191 7/8"

Congrats Matt!

HNI_Christine 12-22-2009 08:37 AM

Luke Whitkanack got this buck last week.

HNI_Christine 12-23-2009 01:15 PM

My buck.

jerry nicholson 12-23-2009 04:22 PM

Nice bucks.Christine when did you shoot yours?

HNI_Christine 12-23-2009 05:13 PM

December 8th. It wasn't a pretty story so I didn't post it. But in the end, stuff happens and I'm just thankful that I was able to tag him. :)