Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Lake Mermet - ASA Pro/Am

Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default Lake Mermet - ASA Pro/Am

Anybody going down there? It's in Metropolis, IL. [Archery Shooters Association 3d tournament] (June 26-27-28)

Deb, Louie, Kendall and I are planning on it. Of course we're bringing our bowfishing bows too. If the boat is still running (I think it caught something off of Joseph's airboat) we'll take it down too.

Chase, I think you said you were going to be there. Bring your bowfishing gear if you can.
(BTW,in case you were wondering what happened to it,Ilocked the old Kaskaskia river shoot thread so nobody would get confused on the dates.)

BillyK? There are bigheads in the Ohio River..

Old 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lake Mermet - ASA Pro/Am

I will be working our Club(Plan is to bespliting the booth with M&R or Southern Illinois Bowhunters)& M&R Booth all mourning.

I got the Youth Bowfishing Championship at Kentucky Lake saturday night.

Stop by our booth. well heck.. come help cause you know we'll need it
Old 06-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ugh! It's 6am, very little sleep...(noisy motel)...and I get to shoot 40 targets today in 98 degrees...

I think that's whining. LOL
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Well none of our group of bowfishers managed to also come home with any ASA top honors. The competition was amazingly tough. I heard the heat index was about 110 degrees. I know some shooters had trouble with heat exhaustion. Despite drinking tons of water I even quit sweating halfway through the day.

There were hundreds of shooters there. From far away too. It amazed me how seriously folks take this sport. They're almost as crazy as bowfishers.

My shooting on day one was pretty rough. I shot much better on the second day. Deb shot just one point under an even score on day two and still came in 30th place. Like I said, there was some impressive shooting.

On the downside, all the 3d competition really cut into our bowfishing time.

We did get some gar out of Mermet but not many. It was too hot during the day and we were just too tired by nightfall.

Sunday after our second round of shooting we headed down to KY. (The Ohio was really muddy.) We launched below Barkley dam and found some fish. It was midday so we didn't expect much. I saw a couple of paddlefish leaping completely out of thewater but we never had one give us a shot. We did get some more gar and some bigheads and silvers.

K with a good sized spotted gar taken on Mermet. This one was spawned out but one of the females was still full of eggs. Look how wide the gar's head is. It looked like a little alligator gar.

Deb with her first KY Bighead.

Below Barkley you have to wear a life jacket.That made shooting interesting.I need a lessbulky pfd.

Got to talk with Dorge and Red for a bit.
No pictures of the shoot because I didn't bother to get a press pass. Just picture lots and lotsof really sweaty people carrying and shooting bows.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Spike

Was nice seeing and talking to ya guys again. We did a little shooting on the lake too but not many fish out there in that heat and we were way to tired to stay up all night shooting.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I didn't get to make it!

I had to wait on a package saturday mourning or else I wasn't gonna get to shoot the Tourney
Old 07-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red, always good to see you. The gar seemed to mostly be under the lotus leaves. Which meant you about had to have a boat to get any shots. They were just hangin' there out of the sun.
Chase, sorry you didn't make it but glad you got your stuff in time for the tourney. We wanted to come down for it, but after a day in that heat we were just wiped out.