Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

trolling motor?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default trolling motor?

im looking to buy a trolling motor for my bowfishing boat. i built a deck and got the outboard running and that is as far as i got last year. any suggestions on models? and place to get one?how should i mount it with the deck? thanks for the input.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trolling motor?

This is Kyles dad (using his login) He is the parts manager at Nameoki Marine in granite city. Give him a call, or stop by. 618 931 3200
Old 03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Minn Kota Endura 55 transom mount. It's simple, no fancy electronics to go bad. Just need a block of wood or steel on the platform to clamp to. Turn around the head on the shaft since you're putting it on the front. Best bang for your buck as far as I'm concerned. It's easy to change to a longer shaft also. I believe the 68" shaft is $40 which is probably close to what your boat would need.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd look on Craigslist.
There's a few good deals on there all the time, depending on what part of the state you're looking in.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the help. im goin to do some checking around. where would you by the longer shaft at? what is needed when you switch them out? hey scribe whats the hours of nameoki?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Bowfishing Extreme carries the shafts. Just pull the wires off the switch in the head remembering where they go. Take the screw out holding the head on. I heat the base of the motor a little where the shaft threads in. Grab the shaft with something and thread it out trying not to let stuff fall into the motor. Might want to keep the thing upside down. The shaft is stuck in there pretty good, but it will come out. You'll have to extend the wires for the extra lenth of shaft. Thread the new shaft in with the red Loctite. Attach the head in the opposite direction it came off. Hook up your wires and you're ready to shoot!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mark S

Bowfishing Extreme carries the shafts. Just pull the wires off the switch in the head remembering where they go. Take the screw out holding the head on. I heat the base of the motor a little where the shaft threads in. Grab the shaft with something and thread it out trying not to let stuff fall into the motor. Might want to keep the thing upside down. The shaft is stuck in there pretty good, but it will come out. You'll have to extend the wires for the extra lenth of shaft. Thread the new shaft in with the red Loctite. Attach the head in the opposite direction it came off. Hook up your wires and you're ready to shoot!
Take the armature out of the housing before you heat the shaft and the housing up. You also need to get every bit of old glue out of the housing or you will take a chance of cross threading a $40 shaft. Those threads are like 32 or 48 treads per inch. I use a little wire brush on my Dremel tool that does a nice job.

Bowfisher