Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Got #4

Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default Got #4

I'm back from the hunting trip that Deb Knoff and I took down in Brown County, IL. We went to a place called Hunting Unlimited Inc.. Larry Hanold, owns the 900 acres of vineyard and hunting paradise and offers a discounted women's only bowhunt.
We had a really good time and saw several deer even though it was windy and rainy for a good portion of the trip.

As Justin posted, I did manage to take my biggest buck yet and I'm still giddy about it.

So, here's some of the story:

It was the second morning and it had been raining off and on and finally became a steady rain. I had already had a spike walk by and a doe and fawn passed by just a bit later. Then I see antlers coming up the trail. One side looked good but the left side looked to be missing two points. I grab for my little camera instead of getting ready to shoot. The buck comes up the trail and is exactly 20 yards away. I try to get a couple pictures of him but the rain prevents my camera from focusing. As he stands there, he turns and looks behind him. I look to see if there is anything else coming up the trail but I don't see anything. However, I do notice that he actually has a pretty neat rack. He starts to walk again and I almost panic as I put my camera back in my pocket, lift the bow, clip on the release, draw, aim and shoot. I almost managed to do all that in a pretty smooth manner. Go me.

These are the series of photos in my camera.
Buck on trail (sorry about the poor quality)

Next picture, buck looking behind him.

(there's one more picture but it's even crummier)

Then, this is the next picture.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Got #4

The rain changed from steady to downpour right when I shot him. I didn't have any trouble seeing where the arrow hit because I was using a lighted nock (firenock). That was cool too. It looked to be a perfect heart shot, but the arrow hit the far leg and there was no exit hole.

I climbed down almost immediately to be sure I wouldn't lose the blood trail in the rain. Even with just the entrance hole, the blood trail was good and I found the buck easily, tho' he did manage to go just over 100 yards.

My lame attempt to balance my camera on the hillside, turn on the timer and jump over to the buck. heh heh

Getting the buck out of the bottoms proved to be a major undertaking. We had two guys, two girls, two trucks and a four wheeler.
Me.. finding out my rain gear doesn't work anymore.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

A couple more pics. I'm wet and freezing and my bow is in a truck a couple miles away.
The buck weighed 185 lbs field dressed.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Pictures from my third evening hunt. More rain on and off.

From the treestand. (we hunted different stands every time)

Since I got my buck, I'm looking for a doe.
Then this guy shows up to check out a spike that was in front of me. He did come within 30 yards. This is the best picture I could get of him. He's a nine pointer with his left g4 laying down along his main beam. Picture doesn't really show how tall and wide he is. Maybe next year I'll get him.

Deb saw a 160-ish buck but it never came close enough. She did smack a nice doe. I'll get those pictures on later.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Deb's doe.

Cover scent cat.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Great deer! Nice shot! You suck.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck that is one heck of a trophy you are having a landmark year congrats
Old 10-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fantastic! I'm so proud of you! Especially with the rain and I know what a wuss you are.

You did great. What a nice buck! FINALLY you have one to put on the wall.

Congratulations again.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

That is a cool looking rack. I'd rather have a funky one than a typical. and you still suck x 4.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Fork Horn

congrats!! heck of a nice buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.