Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Big head's Carlyle Dam

Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big head's Carlyle Dam

Thanks to Robin Parks we are headed down to Carlyle tomorrow to shoot some big heads. As most of you know it has been closed to Bowfishing for the past few years. Well it is now open and we are headed down to check it out. It was awsome the last few times we shot it. Although this past year the commercial fishermen got in and took out several tons of fish. We will see what kind of effect it had on them. Will be posting tomorrow evening our results..
Old 08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big head's Carlyle Dam

I don't think it will make a dent in the population. You should have great luck. Let us know how you do!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

results are in. Arrived down at the river at 10am. Had the river to our selves as far as boats go. Lots of bank fishermen. Ended up boating 11 big heads and 5 gar. Gar were everywhere but where hard to get shots at. As they were, As I call it 'Porpoising' just up and down. Largest fish was 22# 10oz. The rest were inbetween 12 and 14 #. Had lots of bank fishermen cheering us on. They were not crusing along the top. But were down a foot or so, and you had to really look hard to see them. Was a blast.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a picture of today's fish.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice fishin.

Go Robin!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weather permitting will be headed back down to Carlyle Dam again tomorrow. Will be meeting a cousin from St.Louis who is relative new at bow fishing and my sister Chezhead to see who many big heads we can wack. According to the weather is suppose to be partly cloudy. I guess that means partly sunny as well.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My cousin Marty Wilder from St. Louis met up at Carlyle Dam this moring at 10 am. Launched out into the deep and started shooting big heads right off on the first pass. Takes about 20 minutes for a float from the dam down to turn around. So that is 3 passes an hour or so. We were there 6 hours and boated 18 big heads so averaged 3 per pass. We missed a bunch of shots as we were waiting for them to get a little closer and they would spook and take off. Even with complete cloud cover we could easly see their open mouths coming through the water. Hope fully Christing can post some pictures for me.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy cow! Nice haul Johnny B. Some big ole boys there.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Good deal. I was wondering if the Lake personnel were really taking me serious or if they were just passifying me as a "Corps co-worker". Glad to see they changed it.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Robin, So far have been down there twice as you can see and no one has said a word. Of course all the bank fishermen and encouraging us to shoot all we can. Again thank's for your help in getting this place back open. I sure like driveing 3 hours much better than 5 to get down to Ky dam.

Quick Reply: Big head's Carlyle Dam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.