Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Benefit Sporting Clays Shoot

Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Spike

Default Benefit Sporting Clays Shoot

I know some of you fish killers can shoot a shot gun too..and its a great cause:

Guys, gals I/we try and get together with friends every year to shoot, and this year I was inspired by a four year old boy to take our little shoot/get together and give something back.

My friend Rob, aka Choc Dawg IL, on many forums, informed me this fall that his four year old son Bryce was diagnosed with Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes. Never being exposed to such, I had no idea the impact it has. Quite simply it has changed every aspect of Bryce’s life and his family from day to day activity to every ounce of food or drink he intakes. It is a very powerful experience to see a four year old boy prick his own finger; to check his blood and make sure his blood sugar has not reached levels that could threaten his life. On top of this is daily insulin shots, counting every carb he takes in and being aware of every single thing he eats or drinks.

There are thousands of kids out there that are dealing with this every day, and as I thought of my own 2 year old son and what it would be like to deal with this, I wanted to do something. I have little money to donate off the top, and when Rob mentioned he wanted to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) walk and donate the money in Bryce’s name, I knew this shoot would be a great way to help Bryce raise money.

I have asked Rob to come on and post up with Bryce’s story. Please read his story, view his video and think about the kids in your life.

If you would like to donate but cannot attend please email or PM me or see Rob’s post below for information on donating to the walk.

What:[/b] Benefit Sporting Clays Shoot

When:[/b] June 29, 2008 – 9:00 A.M. - ???

Where:[/b] Buena Vista Farms, near Jacksonville, Illinois

Why:[/b] Benefiting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

Cost:[/b] $35.00 for 100 round/12 station course

TO SIGN UP:[/b]
[/b]
Preferred sign up by June 20, 2008. Late entries will be accepted if slots are available.

Please contact Corey Suter to sign up for this event. Sign up early as this shoot may sell out. We are accepting individuals or 4-5 person teams.

Email:

[email protected] (please indicate benefit shoot in subject line)

Phone:

(217) 370 -9593

“All proceeds will be given to JDRF, a 501C3 tax-exempt charity, EIN # 23-1907729.”[/b]

Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM

Default RE: Benefit Sporting Clays Shoot

My Hero

Hero

Pronunciation: [heer-oh]

noun

Definition:

1. remarkably brave person: somebody who commits an act of remarkable bravery or who has shown an admirable quality such as great courage or strength of character.

2. somebody admired: somebody who is admired for outstanding qualities or achievements.

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, and from all walks of life. My hero is 4 years old, 41-1/2” tall, and weighs 38 lbs. He is a little brother, son, grandson, friend, and cousin. My hero’s name is Bryce. And, he is my son.

Bryce loves riding his bike, playing with his dump trucks, and going to the park. He has a 10 year old sister who he plays with, fights with, and picks on. He is like any other 4 year old.

Bryce appears to be perfectly healthy, on the outside. However, on the inside he fights an everyday battle with Type 1 (Juvenile) Diabetes. He must check his blood glucose level up to 5 times a day. He must also inject insulin 4 or more times a day, with syringes. He depends on insulin to live.

At this point, you may be asking yourself what is Type 1 diabetes. You may also be wondering, how Bryce contracted the disease, if someone you know could contract it, or how his life has been changed by it.

Type 1 is not caused by a high sugar diet, or lack of physical activity.

Here are the facts.

• Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas.

• While the causes of this process are not yet entirely understood, scientists believe that both genetic factors and environmental triggers are involved.

• While insulin allows a person to stay alive, it does not cure diabetes nor does it prevent its eventual and devastating complications. The complications include: kidney failure, blindness, nerve damage, amputations, heart attack and stroke.

• To stay alive, people with type 1 diabetes must take multiple insulin injections daily or continually infuse insulin through a pump, and test their blood sugar by pricking their fingers for blood six or more times per day.

• While trying to balance insulin doses with their food intake and daily activities, people with this form of diabetes must always be prepared for serious hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and hyperglycemic (high blood sugar) reactions. Both of which can be life-limiting and life threatening.

• Despite rigorous attention to maintaining a meal plan and exercise regimen, and always injecting the correct amount of insulin, many other factors can adversely affect efforts to tightly control blood-sugar levels. Factors include: stress, hormonal changes, periods of growth, physical activity, medications, illness/infection, and fatigue.

• Every year, 15,000 children and young adults are diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. That is 40 children each day! As many as 3 million Americans may have Type 1 diabetes.

In 2007, one of the 15,000 kids was Bryce. He was diagnosed on November 3rd, after a trip to the Emergency Room. On that day, his life, and our entire family’s life changed forever. He spent 3 days in the hospital, where we learned to care for him. Then, we were on our own to battle alone. We became his mathematicians, physicians, personal trainers and dieticians over night. We must be constantly factoring and adjusting, making frequent finger sticks to check blood sugars, and giving him multiple daily insulin injections just to keep him alive.

Bryce tries to understand and help with the constant sugar battle that goes on inside of him. He tries to remind us before he eats that we need to check his blood sugar. He tries to remind us he needs his insulin. But, it is an everyday battle with a disease you can treat, but never control, despite all the hard work. It is a constant balancing act. Sometimes you win and the vigilance has paid off. Other times you don’t…..there are no guarantees.

Juvenile diabetes is a disease he will never out grow. The disease never sleeps, never takes a vacation, it is with him always.

The road ahead of people living with Type 1 diabetes is long and uncertain…..but you can help!

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) is the world’s largest charitable funder of diabetes research! We are walking to help fund the research!

To donate to, or to join Bryce’s team, Heiden Family – Bryce’s Brigade, go to:
http://walk.jdrf.org/walker.cfm?id=87028344

Bryce’s LIFE depends on insulin and the CURE depends on EVERYONE! Thank you for helping us find a cure FAST!

Video link to follow.

Thank you in advance.
Rob
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Good Luck and best wishes!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 AM

Just talked to Colt Doyle of Team Towhead, in Pleasant Hill IL, has just donated two guided duck hunts. We will be doing a silent auction on these hunts to raise money for JDRF also.

Hunts will be weekday hunts, during the 2008 Waterfowl season. Dates to be determined by Team Towhead, and the winning bidder. Hunt will be in the main pit blind, which was featured on an episode of the Ducks Unlimited TV show. Breakfasts will also be included. These packages are worth at least $350 a piece. We will be auctioning these off separately, but both hunts could be scheduled together, for a two-man hunt.

Team Towhead will also be donating some door prizes for the shoot.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Spike

Guys support is pouring in, we have some very nice donations for silent auction and prizes.
I would also like to let everyone know there will be food available on site with a portion of sales being donated to the foundation, as possibly a cash bar!

later,
CS

This is not one you wanna miss!