Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Fun Shoot this weekend (now with pictures) >

Fun Shoot this weekend (now with pictures)

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Fun Shoot this weekend (now with pictures)

Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fun Shoot this weekend

Ok, after a bout of verbal assault with Christine; she has fed me full of enough grief to show up.....I should (hopefully) make it for dinner. Then of course for the night shoot.......

C-everyone there!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I gotta work tommorrow but, I'm closing the Bow shop at 5:00pm and will dash from Monticello on up to the lake then for the shoot,
Hopefully it'll be good , I was up at Clinton on Monday shooting from the banks and I shot a mess of Common Carp they were all over the place and then stumbled across a ridge full of Morels... YUMMYYYYYYYYYYYY
Its about time I went Bowfishing and got something to bring home that tastes good to eat[8D]
Old 05-17-2008, 01:39 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Good luck everyone! I'm up to my neck with work this weekend. Shoot a few for me.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

I have to work until 8:00 tonight, so I don't think I'll make it.[:@]

Old 05-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the fun shoot has come and gone and it seems well all had fun, 'cept for a bunch of carp and at least two buffalo.Luckily for the carp, the Carp Cadaver, Uncle Dave's boat and the Mendenhall's boats were absent sincethose localguyshad to work.

Bulz,his daughter, Murph the dog and Stevebraved the fairly stiff breeze and throng of speed boats withBulz's troller only powered jon. We got a late start at the lake as we had just about every possible delay trying to get out of the driveway. (From the farmer stopping over to one of the dogs running off and another blown fuse...) We hit the lake and found carp right off the bat. We had a tough time hitting them but they were there. We managed a carp around 8lbs and a few 14" carp but nothing really big or really small.

Johnny B was out on the water with Scott and he called me and said that they were having trouble hitting carp too... but that he had just shot a 19lb buff. That would beat the record that the BAA has listed for IL. When we met back at the ramp he said he didn't have the record anymore. Scott had shot a 20+lber right at the end of their outing. Great job Scott!

I didn't see how many fish the Adams team took.

At the cookout, Deb, Ken and Troy arrived.Kendall cooked the burgers and polish sausages. Kenshowed us how he could make a picnic table act like a seesaw. Murph entertained us by growling at Steve. After much munching we hit the water again at dark.

The wind picked up instead of dying down like it was supposed to and it started raining. Ken no sooner hit the water with his boat and was off drifting away. He couldn't get the out board going. As he drifted away he asked for somebody to move his truck off the ramp. Steve volunteered. Ken asked if he could drive a stick and Steve said "Sure!" Then Ken asked if he could do it without getting the truck wet. Steve said something about that being an entirely different question. Still, Steve got it done and think Ken still has mostof his gears. [8D]

Ken sort of got the outboard going andhe andStevewent into a nearby cove. Deb, Kendall and I went over to the '48' cove since it was more out of the wind. We shot several more carp and missed dozens. The fish were all on hyper drive.

The coveted Brass Carp did make it's appearance...... and it will now call Danville it's home. Congrats to Johnny B for getting into the big buffs. He and Scott also won some Cajun arrows and a DVD. Ken Sharp won an arrow and DVD for smallest fish. (I have your stuff Ken)

Thanks again to everybody that could make it. I know work, boat gremlins and high gas prices make it tough.

I'll get some pictures on in a bit.

[Sorry for the late report. We got home around 3:30am then spent most all of our awake timeyesterday cutting down and chopping up a big dead elm in the yard.]
Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was a great time, as usual. And, as usual lately, the weather gods turned theirbacks on us and we had a hard time with the wind. It really picked up after we ate. But it made for some memorable stories later. Ken drifting away was great! He probably won't agree.

I shot fish from shore, Kendall and Christine's boat and Chris' boat. "Have Bow, Will Travel". That's my motto. I got into a little bit of a groove in Chris' boat, but it was short-lived. We got back to the spot Kendall Picked me up at after only about1 1/2 hours from the launch. I got my van and went over to the Weldon access and I met Troy from the Prairie State-site. He just stopped by to meet everyone. He was on his way to Dawson to catch some 'gills on the beds.He was a prettynice guy. If we had another boat there, I'd have tried harder to talk him into staying. I had a bow, but he was set on a bluegill-dinner anyway. I think he's a future-member.

Scott's and Johnny B's buffs were something else! That was the only fish Scott shot too. Unreal! As Christine said, if you're only going to shoot one fish, that's the one to shoot. I thought it was ironic as hell that Johnny had the state record for only 2 hours before it was broke by his own partner. What are the odds?

It was great meeting everyone I haven't met before too. Deb, Scott, Ken and Troy. I hopeto see you allat the next one. Troy, we have to get you on a boat!And we gotta get Ken a motor. LOL!!!

Thanks for holding that bow for my nephew Christine. He's gonna crap his pants when he sees it. He's gonna be the youngest member of the Illinois Bowfishers here real soon. I'll make sure if it. Maybe me and Dina can take him with to the state-shoot. Mark and I are talking about camping that weekend.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was the first time on my boat for my 5 year old daughter Jessie, and also for the Murphy dog. (Good job growling at Steve) The wind was less than ideal for a partially disabled boat such as mine, but we found fish anyway and Jessie got to find her sea legs. When we left the ramp, she wouldn't even stand up because of the wave motion, but on the way back, she was standing up on the platform without holding onto the rail and seemed quite relaxed. One step at a time.

Was good to see you guys and gals again. I think that Scott and I will have to spend some quality time discussing the finer points of AR-15 style rifles. He also hails from closer to me than Clinton lake, so we'll have to hit the Illinois River together soon.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

Ken Sharp won an arrow and DVD for smallest fish. (I have your stuff Ken)
Thanks.....I am feeling all warm and Fuzzy!.......And about the picnic table....I can't help it if my Dr. Says I am GROSSLY OBESE!!! LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowman15

Ken drifting away was great! He probably won't agree.

And we gotta get Ken a motor. LOL!!!
LOL....Hey my rescuer looked pretty good though....I was rescued by a damsel in a speed boat! I was honored!

BTW I got that motor running the next day....It had some crap in the carb that I cleaned out. I just didn't think it would have been the best thing to do out on the water. The good news is though that my wife feels sorry for me having to mess with all of these "antique" motors; she has agreed on a "decent" motor for next year! Woo Hoo!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

she has agreed on a "decent" motor for next year! Woo Hoo!
SWEET !!

It's always good to have a outboard that was made sometime in the last few decades. At least it seems like a good idea. I can't actually speak from experience.

I saw you pull the gas line off the motor when the hottie came by.
I won't tell anyone though.

Quick Reply: Fun Shoot this weekend (now with pictures)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.