Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Pending New World Record Bighead!!!! >

Pending New World Record Bighead!!!!

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Pending New World Record Bighead!!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pending New World Record Bighead!!!!

I think after this and nailing down how many fish would be shot at the Billy Davis tourney,just maybe I should be posting a little wager at Vegas,
the ProphetRobster

RE: IL Bowfishing Records - 1/25/2008 4:18:18 PM

robow7

Fork Horn

The bighead carp recordis going down this year. I'm surprised that a 35lber is still in thelead because most all of us have a40 lber in our past. [align=right]
[/align]
Old 05-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

quote: "PS - Don't let Duane C. talk you into usingyour fish for the demo this Sat.!"

I donno man - that would be some big chunks of meat - no problem with the bones there - they'd be like T-bone steaks!

I cleaned some 50 pound black carp a couple weeks ago, and tried grilling one of the filets, skin-on. That was a mistake. The flakes were so big that the connective tissue between the flakes was obvious and like glue, when the fish were that big, and prepared that way. Yuck. But Fishhunter said he fried some up and it was great.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Darin is becoming famous!

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/bowfisher_shoots_huge_bighead_carp/
Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everybody for the congrats..Here is my story, nothing fancy, a friend of mine called me saturday and said he had shot some gar above lock and dam 26, the same place I went the night we shot the 1500# of bigheads, but I was in a boat that time..
So sunday it was sunny and i figured I would give it a try, I went over there and shot a few small gar..I keptseeing a dark shadow in the water 40 yards out, a fisherman there said it was a log, but when I seen it next it was between 15-20 yards, then its head come out of the water a little bit and I knew it was a bighead, I shot and nothing, fish gone, line still loose and about 3 seconds later, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, there goes my line.
I fought it for over 5 minutes before I ever saw it again and when it did break the water, I shot it in its head right above it eye, which turned out to be a blessing because only the tip just past the barb was stuck in the fish, I got REAL worried and thought for sure the arrow would pop out, but it held..
When I got him about 5 feet from the bank I wedged my bow in the rip rap and jumped in the water and bear hugged him, wrestled him up on the bank..Thats when I really realized how BIG he was..After I carried him up to the truck dragging my bow behind, wasnt going to take the arrow out till he was in the truck, my poor bow!!!!
I showed him to my Dad and took him to the local meat locker and weighed it on there certified scale in front of about 10 people..Took a bunch of pictures..
Thats my story..

I would love to bring it to the classic..
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of fish point were you using?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Sting a ree..the one with the chisel tip..
Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Cool. That's the head I used the most down in KY when we were shooting bigheads. The barbs get bent up after awhile but they're easy enough to replace. They do hold great.

Next two questions. What kind of reel? Is the taxidermist going to cast the thing or try to do a skin mount?

Congrats again. There's no way I'd get in the water with it. I'd be too chicken. I sure as heck wouldn't be able to lift it up either.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I had a shakespeare synergy reel with 200# fast flight on it,the taxidermistis going to Skin Mount it..
Old 05-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

wow come to work one day this week and then skip out and shoot this monster. nice fish
Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Did Don show you the pic I gave him, went by after work yesterday and left one at the shop...

Quick Reply: Pending New World Record Bighead!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.