Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Safety Slides and Big Fish

Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Safety Slides and Big Fish

I use safety slides on my bowfishing arrows but I noticed the pro's (Keith and Robin from Aim'n Low) do not.Do you think that the safety slides may break off when battling a big fish?

In a related question: is it difficult to land a big fish with a retriever-type reel?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Safety Slides and Big Fish

I think Robin and Keith have seen the light and use the safety slides now. They have also switched to retriever reels.

For 20-35lb fish, I've had no problem bringing them in with the retriever. For really big fish/stingrays/sharks/alligators you can use aslotted retriever and a float.

I can pull the pontoon boat across logs when I stick an arrow into a root and the safety slide won't break. AMS did come out with a new material for the slide this year. It's a bit softer so it doesn't loosen the safety stop. (Once in a great while the stop will start to loosen. Switch arrows and tighten and reglue the screw and stop. Otherwise it will come off.)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I feel confident with my equipment again!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thing with a retriever is you don't want to reel the fish in with them no matter what size fish it is. It will burn a groove in your rollers and wear out so the line can be reeled up anymore. Pull the fish and reel slack, pull and reel, pull and reel.......... or pull the fish in and wind up the line after your done taking the fish off. Thats the only down side of a retriever but they are a solid reel and wont fail ya if you take care of them. WCL
Old 01-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

A big one, or one hit where it can turn and run, will wear a groove, too. Gotta' love it when they're zipping line out so fast you swear the reel is smoking.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

the only time i have ever had a problem with the slides is i shot a couple times and the stops must have been loose because they broke and the only thing stopping my slide was the screw. but i changed the stop and all was good again.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

i have shot fish up to 60 lb and never had a problem with the slides then. if the bumper/stop on the back breaks you have to change arrows or it will break the slide. i wouldnt shoot with out them. i have personaly seen a string tie to a bowstring that was done"properly"(reeled tight) luckly the string broke.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

use the slides they won't break because of the fish size...... they will break from wear as most things do...

as far as the stops go ... AMS has came out with a new material that is 30% lighter than the old style slides and that alonewill reduce the shock on the pads/screws so you shouldn't see much of that trouble anymore.......

Slim, Buffalohntr, and I were lucky enough to do some testing of the ( NEW)slideslast summer for AMSand was very impressed with the change..... I'm sure they will chime in here soon.......

The NEW ones are BLUE, make sure too get ya some, if ya'll have anymore questions on them feel free to PM me anytime....

I DON"T NEED ANY ONE-EYED FRIENDS .... LOL

Later,

Alex
Old 02-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Also, we will have some to show ya,,,at the ILLINOIS BOWFISHERS BOOTH at the Deer and Turkey Expo.....

make sure ya'll stop by
Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

THANKS EVERYONE!

Quick Reply: Safety Slides and Big Fish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.