Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

new guy

Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default new guy

Just picked up a new bow fishing rig, PSE Nova single cam. Looking foward to learning how to shoot. My questions is about the IL laws/rules, I haven't found anything to speak of. Can someone point me in the right direction. In the fishing digest I found very little. Can the bow be transported out of the case, can I drive and shoot. Help please.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: new guy

Hi, Welcome to the site!

Prepare to become addicted to bowfishing.

In IL bowfishing is covered by the Aquatic code (fishing), not hunting. You need a sport fishing license.

There is no general bowfishing season statewide. However, in the fishing regs book you'll see lots of 'site specific' regulations. Many of those bodies of water will either not allow bowfishing or there might be special regs for bowfishing such as a season. If you're not sure about a particular body of water, you can always ask us here. We'll find out for you.

Keep your bow inoperable while it's in your car/truck. (It's debatable whether a fishing bow needs to be in a case in your truck, but it's easier to play it safe than argue with a CPO)
Once you are on the water, you can shoot your bow while the motor is running. Since you are fishing, it doesn't need to be in a case. We have a document from the IL DNR to clarify this. Let us know if you need a copy.

I would advise you to only carry bowfishing arrows when bowfishing. A CPO would be suspicious if you had someregular arrows with you.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Rusty.
Like Christine said, check the site specific rules on any body of water you want to shoot. Illinois has many lakes that are open for only a few months of the year. Or you can just ask on here. We probably have someone on here who is familiar with the area.

Yes, you can drive and shoot. It can take a bit of getting used to.

Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you for your help and info. Will be shooting in the Kaskaskia River by New Athens. I'm tired of having those Big Silvers jump in the boat, its time to get even. It's late in the season for fish since deer season is coming up but I am looking forward to the challenge. Any other links to see what every one else uses for equipment, I have no sites on the bow.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Kaskaskia near New Athens is good. You need to hook up with Bob "DUMB BASS" Rutkowski. He is from New Athens and I'm sure would be glad to give you some pointers. You could also check out Bob's website; http://www.siloutdoors.com

Again, Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Carp,

Plenty of fish to whack on the Kas... Becks can be good for shootin too...

You don't need sights on your bow, as most shots are probably less than 15 yds.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds good, I know Becks. That first cove on the right from New Athens is loaded with jumpers, I'll be in there also. Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

WELCOME ABOARD RUSTY!

MIKEY