Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Frustrating first bowfishing experience. >

Frustrating first bowfishing experience.

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Frustrating first bowfishing experience.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Spike

Default Frustrating first bowfishing experience.

After all the advice from this and other forums, I finally made it out with a buddy. We took the boat to a back water lake on the IL river, (daylight hours, no lights yet).

Allthough we saw tons of fish with their tails sticking out of the water, we never saw one in range. The water was the clarity of chocolate milk so even the fish that did pop up in range were undetectable. My buddy had one shot at a gar and just missed sending the fish into the air with the tail of the arrow.

I shot two practice shots, and on the second one, my arrow flew off with no string attached! Heck of a way to start a new hobby!

We ended with just two shots at fish, minus an arrow, but plus a good sun tan.

I was really discouraged, because I was banking on this lake as a staple spot, but ya just can't see the fish.

I am not discouraged though, just have to find a new spot. Also checked a local creek, same deal, too cloudy to see anything.

Sorry for the long post, just venting a bit.

FYI, I found a burr on that brand new "drum" reel, took the dremmel to it and test shot 25 times yesterday, so at least that problem is fixed.

later,

CS
Old 06-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Frustrating first bowfishing experience.

Bummer about loosing the arrow.

Yep, most spots on the Illinois River are extremely muddy.[:'(]
Some days are worse than others. Keep looking, you'll eventually find a decent spot.

Good luck!!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. I think we've all had days like that. Christine's right; theIllinois is usually murky at least. I have a stretch I float every once in a while, and it's just like you described. There are a few creeks that flow into theIllinois that are very clear tho. Find those, and you'll find lots of fish.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Murky water is tough shooting. [:@]
Unfortunately it's where the carp thrive. (In fact they are usually the cause of the aforementioned murkiness.)
As you get out more, and gain additional experience, you'll get better at picking them out even in chocolate water.

At least you saw fish though. There are days when they just disappear like they are on strike or something. Other days they are just so skittish that you can't get anywhere near them.

Bowfishing is not easy, even when the conditions are good, but you just wait until you nail that first one. You won't want to go home. I promise.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Spike

Hey CS, glad to hear that you finally made it out. Sorry that it didn't turn out better for you, tho. The Sangamon has been really murky lately, too. Let me know when you're ready to head over to Sangchris. The water isn't clear, but it's not that bad, either. Rick
Old 06-27-2006, 06:56 AM

Just an FYI to make sure that you are wearing polaroid sunglasses. John ran into some bowfishers and they were complaining about not seeing the fish very well and they were using non-polarized sunglasses. After the tip they came back the next day and shot quite a few fish!!

Hope it helps!!!

Diana

Old 06-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Spike

Diana,

I didn't have em on that day, but I do have polarized glasses that will be going with me from now on. I shot with em on over the weekend to practice.

I should get another chance to go this weekend, depending on if we stay in IL or go to the camper in MO.

Thanks,

CS
Old 06-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

make sure that you are wearing polaroid sunglasses.
Excellent point CHZhead.

I hadn't thought to mention that since I always wear mine. I even keep an extra pair in teh car in case they get forgotten or broken. You might as well stay home without them.

I hope that was the bulk of your problem.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:04 PM

I just reread my last post and realized I said "polaroid" instead of polarized (duh). I usually call them digital's!! (It's actually a joke between my bro and I).

Hey Bulzeye, I've been trying to e-mail you but your in-box is full. Are you receiving any of them?
Diana
Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Problems at work with the server.

I'll pm you another address to use in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Frustrating first bowfishing experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.