Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Spoonbill

Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spoonbill

Hay out there. Looking for some info on Spoonbill down at Ky. Dam. Have a buddy from Ohio that wants to come out for some big head and wood like a crack at a spoonbill. Robow has said that May is the best time, was wondering what time in May would be our best chance at some. As you all know this year we will be allowed to shoot two, and they are the best eating fish going. Any info would be a big help in planing out trip.. Johnny b.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spoonbill

I haven't been down there yet myself, but Slim and 'Ol Uncle Dave (Bowfisher5)have got some Spoonbill pics in the new Club Gallery.

http://www.illinoisbowfishers.com/ClickGallery/view_gallery.asp?gallery_id=450¤tpage=1&paren tcurrentpage=1

Maybe they could help you out.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen them there thick in early may. heck they may be real thick right now???we seen most closer to the dam than we probaly should have been. we just happened upon them hunting them like bigheads. was reading a article about them in outdoor illinois that said they average 20 lb but the biggest they caught in a survey was 60lb. they look HUGE for there size. a 15 lb will look like it is 40 lb in the water
Old 03-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Slim your right robow and I were on the tennessee river last spring and we were seeing spoonbills everywhere we were calling out spoonbill as soon as we could so noone shot one acidentially. But they do look huge in hte water and i know from a good source they are fine eating...