Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters > Hunts/Outfitter Reviews
Beware of Wooden Cross Outfitters >

Beware of Wooden Cross Outfitters

Community
Hunts/Outfitter Reviews Went on a great hunt or had a good outfitter? - Write a Review of your experience!

Beware of Wooden Cross Outfitters

Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by falcon
Some hog hunting outfits have spotty records. i'm familiar with two that routinely ripped folks off. One is out of business. One OK hog hunting outfit formerly claimed he had 10,000 acres leased for his hunters. The scumbag has no land leased. He turned his hunters loose to trespass on other folks property. It all came to light after the new Dodge diesel pickup belonging to trespassing hunters burned up on property adjacent to mine. The guy now runs a 80-100 acre fenced in hog hunting extravaganza.

The state of OK requires clients who hunt hogs at these "ranches" to obtain a $25 license. No more hog hunting "ranches" will be licensed by the state.
I hadn't heard that but I don't doubt it for a bit. A lot of the hog hunting ranches is part of the reason the things have spread like the plague lol. They even killed one at Will Rogers Airport on the 6th and I seen one hit by a car on the road that runs south of the airport the a few days ago.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kelly, perhaps some of us have lived long enough to learn that if something does not pass the smell test, it is more than likely rotten! It is extremely suspicious when a first time poster comes here to attack someone, extremely suspicious! As far as the outfitter coming on here to defend himself, what makes you think he or they even know that this website exists? The problem is that people can be anonymous on a message board and say anything with no repercussions. A man would have taken his problem to the person whom caused it and if that didn't work he would have taken it to those who have authority over the person he believes stiffed him, not blasting the guy or guys on a message board knowing he more than likely he doesn't have to have any proof to his allegations. Every post either criticizing or lauding an outfitter has to be taken with a grain of salt because we don't know the posters from Adam! When we have a hit and run poster, which is what the op is, reason to take them at their word and question what the motivation was to make the post. Perhaps you have not lived long enough to learn that people lie to make themselves look to be in the right, but I have and the post we are talking about has more reasons to believe it has self serving motives rather than being a warning to others. I live by the credo that if it seems suspicious, it probably is! I think a good policy would be that if someone bad mouthed a guide or outfitter here, that they be contacted to give them the opportunity to defend themselves. Otherwise all we have is an exparte hearing.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-25-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

The issue is jumping a new member without any facts. Essentially calling a person a liar, without anything to go on.

I doubt any of you called or emailed the outfitter to let them know about this thread, or to ask their side of the story . Even though their phone number and email are both easily accessible on their webpage.

If the truth, or the facts, are what you were after.... It would be easy to try to find them. But instead of doing that several people instead jumped a new member and essentially called them a liar. You aren't interested in the truth or facts. You just want to jump a new poster... For whatever reason. You want to question their credibility. You want to say that their statement smells false. But I didn't see anybody say anything about actually trying to find the truth .

I'm willing to bet if hunters life walked into a room and told a story. And then I replied with "you're a liar, I don't believe you, you're not credible, what you say smells odiferous" that I would have my hands full for calling the man a liar. And rightfully so. A man's word means something and it shouldn't be used lightly.

But apparently that's an acceptable thing to do online. I deal with liars daily, and I'm more willing to accept a new members post than most of the members here .

If it doesn't smell right, you're probably right and it isn't right . There's probably more to the story. Probably more on both sides. So ask some questions, dig a little deeper, and find the truth.

Or just run off a new poster, without any facts ( which is what y'all jumped him for in the first place) . I suppose either way works.

-Jake
Old 06-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

To add to that....

I have contacted the outfitter. No response as of yet.

But we'll see .

-Jake
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

Actually Bocanjala I sure did contact them and Mrs. Peden got right back to me but I forgot to post it in here.

On May 31, 2018 at 3:28 PM Misty Peden <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Danny,

I would like to start by saying thank you so much for reaching out and making us aware of the negative post on hunting.net. The fact that you took your time to let us know is much appreciated and I will address the issue with the gentleman who created the post. There are in fact two sides to every story, and I believe the cancellation was on his end but will investigate further to be sure. We don’t ever set out to cheat anyone and our goal has been and will always be to help everyone who joins us for a hunt have an experience they will never forget that truly embraces the sport of hunting. We’d love to have you come out and hunt with us sometime, just let us know when. Thank you again for your hospitality, it is a refreshing change from the norms of society nowadays!

Have a blessed day,
Misty Peden

“The two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why.”
Mark Twain
Take it however you want. I tend to believe the outfitter myself.

Last edited by hunters_life; 06-25-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

HL, my point still stands. I'm glad you reached out to the outfitter. I did as well with no response as of yet..

But by the dates and times of that message and your post.... You called the OP "odiferous"(odoriferous), and you stated that we shouldn't "crucify the individual (the business) without any proof like the media does" referring to the business..... Even though you were doing the same to the OP.... With (up until that point) out any proof.

I would like to see an actual response from the outfitter. But again, that hasn't happened yet. I don't have any connection to either party. But I'm very careful not to call a person a liar, until I know for sure that they are. At this point I don't see evidence either way.

And I'll say it again... If you walked into a room and told a story and I said it smelled fishy.... Without me knowing you, without any proof, without anything other than you being new to the room....I'm guessing you wouldn't take that sitting down. I don't believe you'd let someone call you a liar without any facts.... So let's give the same respect to others.

I'm all for finding the right evidence and calling out the individual (or the business) if they're lying or being shady.....

But let's have some facts before we do that. This poster will likely never post again. Maybe that's a good thing or maybe we lost a valuable member to the forum.

You touched on it in another post about how the internet makes it easy for people to burn and slander others without any proof. The same is true in how we communicate to others online. I'm guessing if we were all sitting around a fire nobody would have called him a liar immediately like that . They would have asked some questions first to try to get more of the story and figure out what was going on.

Seriously though, I'm glad you reached out to the outfitter. I doubted that anybody did. That says allot (confirmed allot) about you as an individual. I almost always send an email when I see posts like this to give them an opportunity to respond.

And to clarify.... This topic really wasn't that bad, if it was it would have resulted in warnings or temp bans.... It just happens to be the topic where the subject came up . There have been some posters in the past that have continually "chased off" new members and it was an ongoing issue for a while. So maybe I'm a little "sensitive" to the subject .

I just hate to see anybody jumped, when there's no facts to go on.

-Jake
Old 06-26-2018, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Kelly, perhaps some of us have lived long enough to learn that if something does not pass the smell test, it is more than likely rotten! It is extremely suspicious when a first time poster comes here to attack someone, extremely suspicious! As far as the outfitter coming on here to defend himself, what makes you think he or they even know that this website exists? The problem is that people can be anonymous on a message board and say anything with no repercussions. A man would have taken his problem to the person whom caused it and if that didn't work he would have taken it to those who have authority over the person he believes stiffed him, not blasting the guy or guys on a message board knowing he more than likely he doesn't have to have any proof to his allegations. Every post either criticizing or lauding an outfitter has to be taken with a grain of salt because we don't know the posters from Adam! When we have a hit and run poster, which is what the op is, reason to take them at their word and question what the motivation was to make the post. Perhaps you have not lived long enough to learn that people lie to make themselves look to be in the right, but I have and the post we are talking about has more reasons to believe it has self serving motives rather than being a warning to others. I live by the credo that if it seems suspicious, it probably is! I think a good policy would be that if someone bad mouthed a guide or outfitter here, that they be contacted to give them the opportunity to defend themselves. Otherwise all we have is an exparte hearing.
I am not disagreeing that it could be suspicious but the fact is you can dig further and ask questions without basically calling the guy or his post not credible. Look at it like this. If you go to taco bell or a restaurant and you get bad service are you not more likely to complain about it? When someone gets bad service or feels slighted they tend to complain about it. If the OP is telling the truth then it is a bad situation all around and being it is a hunting situation there is not very many places to do the complaining. The OP also stated that he did take it to the person he had a problem with and got no where and then went above that to contact lawyers but that it would cost more in attorney fees than what the hunt cost. Let me ask you.

Just because I may not be 70, 80 or 90 years old doesn't mean I haven't lived long enough to see red flags. And like I said take the post with a grain of salt and move on. 1 bad post about an outfitter does not necessarily mean that he is no good at his job. As far as contacting the outfitter you are more than welcome to police that if you would like. There are always 2 sides to a story but maybe he realizes that his business is not going to crumble over this 1 post. Now if he was getting hundreds of bad reviews then he might have a problem lol