Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Gear
New hunter gear question >

New hunter gear question

Community
Hunting Gear Looking for a new treestand or a good set of binoculars? You've come to the right place.

New hunter gear question

Old 10-07-2020, 01:09 PM
Spike

Default New hunter gear question

New to the world of hunting, I’ve been looking to acquire a pack I’ll include a link below. Anyway my question is what kind of pack should I be looking for what size etc. I want to get into all manner of hunting starting out with deer and hog and then eventually elk moose etc. and rather then buy a pack only to discover I’ll need a bigger stronger one later. I’d rather get the bigger stronger one now so to speak. Figuring if it’s good enough/ big enough to haul your elk and camp sit then it ought to work for the smaller stuff like deer an hogs too. Thanks for your input and advice. I live out in California Incase that influences your advice at all. I’m currently looking at the creed pack on the badlands website. I’d post a link but I’m too new I guess
Old 10-07-2020, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

first off welcome to the site

but this is a some what hard question to answer, as the real answer is, to have a FEW packs, of different sizes,. shapes and such
as NO one shoe fits all IMO

why would you want to haul a, LARGE pack about for small things, , as weight gets heavier the farther you carry it and you don't need to carry all that much to hunt many game animals
then it comes down to what TYPE of hunting are you doing, and in what ways
many deer hunt from ground blinds, tree stands, stalk< all different ways to hunt, and each can require more or less gear pending WHERE your hunting at and how!

the questions maybe here are to ask yourself, what DO you need to carry, when you hunt and then, pick a pack that fits that needs!
do you plan to carry game out in quarters, or drag it out whole?
plan to use a game cart? or again quarter game up and haul on your back ?!

as a game cart can be pretty handy and can be used to haul gear in and out too, along with downed game!
will you be carrying a tree stand on your back? or??
so as you can seem, HOW you hunt, where you hunt, what gear you plan to use/carry take, ALL determines what you need!
NO one pack really does it all, unless you like hauling BIG packs for no reason at times?

best advice again is, start with asking yourself some questions and then buy things as needed to fit THEM needs!
I cannot ell you what YOU need,
and NO way can I tell what you want to carry and take, or style of hunting planned<

Lots of great packs on the market today, and they come in all shapes and sizes and price tags!
only YOU can really say what sized bag you need, and THEN< if you say you need :X" sized bag, THEN maybe we can recommend a pack for you (as in brand name,model and such)
other wise too many unknowns here to say BUY THIS!

Old 10-08-2020, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

That looks like a nice pack that should be pretty versatile for you.

I agree that there's no one pack to rule them all. But that's probably not a bad starting point. You can add another when you need it.

-Jake