Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Gear
How best to layer Sitka gear - Colorado ELK >

How best to layer Sitka gear - Colorado ELK

Community
Hunting Gear Looking for a new treestand or a good set of binoculars? You've come to the right place.

How best to layer Sitka gear - Colorado ELK

Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Spike

Default How best to layer Sitka gear - Colorado ELK

I have never been elk hunting and am trying to do a lot of planning and research this year so that I can have a successful hunt next year. In the meanwhile at the end of this season i think I should be able to get some good deals on equipment.

To the point: I have my base layers but have heard and read such varied stories of the weather in Colorado during the first elk season that I am really unsure as to how to go for mid and outer layers. I am planning on a 100% DIY since I am in very good shape but I still want to keep my gear to a minimum weight. I really like Sitka for this optimization of weight versus functionality. But how to get the most range is really stumping me. I am on the cold side of every temp. so I was thinking of the celsius jacket and pants with the Stormfront lite as outer for those (= lots of money but if that is the best option I am ok with that) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

First rifle elk season is rarely real cold. Moisture as in heavy snows are possible and more probable than really cold weather. Just something to think about in your planning stages. I wear a thin polypropallen(sp) layer of long johns under regular 6 pocket camo pants and a long sleeve chamois shirt. The coat I wear or carry depends on the weather, heavy fleece/wool for cold or my quality rain coat, can't remember the maker of it off the top of my head. A good stocking cap for cold days, and a regular ball cap other wise.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Spike

Thanks for your input. By the way, what temp. sleeping bag do you bring.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Skinnypitt,

The Celsius may be a little much in the event you are active during your hunt and the temps. I would suggest the following garments as this will allow you to eliminate or add as needed.

Upper
Sitka Core Crew
Sitka Traverse Zip T
Jetstream Vest (Windstopper)
Jetstream Jacket (Windstopper)

Pants
90% Pant and or the Ascent Pant with a Traverse Bottom

If you have any questions please shoot me a PM
Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Spike

thanks, that was the kind of detail I was looking for.