Community
Hunting Gear Looking for a new treestand or a good set of binoculars? You've come to the right place.

GPS

Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 AM

Default GPS

I'm looking for a GPS with tonnes of memory and the capablity to upload maps.
Can someone please direct me as to what brands and models are the better deals for the price? I don't have a huge budget for a GPS but I want to get the best bang for my buck, so to speak! I'll be using it mostly for hunting and ATV adventures!
Thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 05:19 PM

Default RE: GPS

There are several. My Etrex Cx by Garmin is small and it has a micro SD card. I replaced the one it came with and put in a 2 gig card. I have all of the Conus loaded in topo maps. I just pull it out and put in the 1 gig and I am back to road maps.
There are some others that are more outdoor oriented, and some more auto oriented. Kinda just depends on what you want. I personally would stay away from rechargeable internal batteries, and stick to regular batteries so if they die I can throw a new set in and not be lost. Whatever you get keep the compass and map as technology can and will fail.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 PM

I amlooking at the Garmin Etrex vista Hcx and the Rino 530Hcx, sort of torn between the two.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 AM

I have the etrex vista and have been very happy with it. Of course I don't really have anything to compare it to. You can upload topo maps and roadmapsto it if you have the mapping software. I do not do that. It does come with a base map that has most major roads. I simply mark waypoints and landmarks. You can also project waypoints if you had a spot you wanted to get to but needed to go around a river or something like that to get there. It tracks your trail as long as you leave it on......but it does eat batteries. I just make sure I carry extras. I think Garmin is good stuff.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 PM

Thanks guys!
majphill - The mapping feature is the bestest reason I picke those models and from what I've heard and read garmin has the best GPS units!

I'm leaning a little more towards the rino because of the 2-way radio features. I like the fact that it will show the location of any other rino users, that could come in handy, for hunting! I have several buddies that have rinos, so it seems like a good fit!

Does anyone have the Rino 530 Hcx? I like to get some recent feedback! I know they had some problems when it first came out, but they usually address them pretty quickly!!! Any thoughts/comments?!?!
Thanks