Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Stealth Cams

Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Stealth Cams

I purchased a Stealth Cam about three years ago. I have to say I am really disappointed in it. In three years of using it very often, I have never caught a picture of a deer but have filled up rolls of film of nothing. I was told to put tape on the sides of the sensor to keep it from taking pictures too quick and that didn't help. I believe that it is too sensitive. Every time the wind blows I believe it takes a picture.

Question is, Do I throw it and go for another type of camera? Or did I just have a lemon?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stealth Cams

if you thought you had a lemon i would have exchanged it right away. i have 2 of them and work great. i would send it back for repair. explain your problems to them and maybe they will replace for free. they arent fancy and im starting to believe quality control isint good. some people like to use 800 speed film but i like to use kodak 400 speed film. my night time pictures or pretty good. place it 10 feet away from a salt lick(bagged solar salt or similar) preferably near water and about waiste high and not facing east or west where the sun can set it off so bring a compass. make sure its not pointed at any wacky bushes,leaves or long feather grass that might set it off too.leave it out for a week and check back. it does work maybe a little quircky at times. it also loves strong fresh batteries only. i only get 2 uses out of my batteries. 48 pictures worth. the only other thing i do is set it to take a picture every 2 minutes after motion is detected. that has helped me take less pictures of the same deer or bigfoot.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My stealth cam is great. Its a far cry better over the Moultrie I first purchased. But I did also find my 1st couple rolls of film were blanks with the Stealth. 1st I too used 800speed film like I did in the Moultrie. 800speed just doesn't seem to function right in the Stealth. Kodak 400 works great. I also notice a small branch was triggering my Stealth. Make sure all small branches, leaves, grass blades, and such are out of range & view to trigger your camera. If neither of those does it, then guess you got a faulty one.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:24 AM

Well....LOL.....Not trying to be a Smart___ but it seems like you guys are having the same problems that I am having and have a hard time admitting it.

From what I gather from what you guys told me is that the Stealth works great as long as you put it in a desert that has no wind to move bushes that will trigger it.....LOL

Just my observation.....It works for your applications but not for mine. Mine will be in the trash can at the end of the road if any of you want it.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Whats your address Stone?
Old 04-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

the desert wouldnt be good either with all that blowing sand seriously it sounds like you got a bad one. if you set it up on a good deer trail,feeding area, or salt lick generally that will be a somewhat open spot. you can certainly buy a more expensive unit but to me id rather not put a 300$ bill attached to a tree. at 59$ i would try getting yours fixed or trying some different set ups to make sure its just not in a bad location.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

After using a 35mm Camtrakker for 6 years I bought an EagleEye digital last fall. I've taken over 2600 pictures with it to date.

Although the digitals are more expensive, they are well worth it in my opinion.

I've used four different digitals, just to compare them, and I would take any of them over the 35mm.

Happy Picture Taking
Old 04-18-2005, 11:04 AM

OK,

I have tried every set up scenerio in the past 3 years that I could think of and did not get it to work. Do I want to put more money into a unit that has never worked.....No.....Do I think Stealth will do something about it after 3 years....No.....I guess I though all were having this much trouble with all units.

Has anyone used the Bushnell Trail Scout Pro? One of my customers was having trouble with people stealing stuff off of his oil location and asked me to get him one. So I did. He hasn't used it yet but plans on setting it up soon. It has motion or infra Red heat sensor. It also has night vision. Just curious...it sounds like a good unit.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

get a good digital like a cuddeback, leaf river, camtrakker, peens woods or moultrie
Old 05-06-2005, 06:16 PM

Stone Cold. Had one took it back to cabelas after the only thing I got on camera was the but of a deer and a raccoon playing with the camera. I also had one heck of a time getting the film out. Not happy at all with it.

Quick Reply: Stealth Cams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.