Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Up coming Elk hunt I need some back pack advice >

Up coming Elk hunt I need some back pack advice

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Up coming Elk hunt I need some back pack advice

Old 02-01-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Up coming Elk hunt I need some back pack advice

I have an Elk and Mule Deer hunt coming up in October to Darby, Montana for 10 days. I haven't hunted either before and I was wondering what pack to get. It's a semi-guided hunt and the guides will be packing out any animals we are lucky enough to shoot. I need a good pack for supplies with room for clothes to take off and put on through out the course of the day. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Up coming Elk hunt I need some back pack advice

Cabela's sells an Alaskan pack. A buddy of mine uses one. I have a Mckinley frame and a moose pack attatched to it. I forget the brand of the moose pack. But if you are not packing meat I would at least give the Alaskan a look. When I looked for my last pack I looked for a welded frame with plenty of support directly over my hips. I went with the moose pack as I am able to fit large meat sacks into the big compartment with ease. If you carry your supplies for a long distance then you will want a good comfortable pack. I beleive that the Alaskan comes apart and can be used as a day pack. For a day pack I have a pack that wraps aroung my waist at the bottom. I have a water bladder that can be filled and you can drink without even taking your pack off. I like to seperate my hunting items from my food items so a multiple compartment will be a plus. I have found that when traveling long distances to reduce shoulder stress, one can buy the padded seat belt covers and install them on the shoulder straps. This may cut down on bruising over long distances with alot of weight. Good luck in your search, there are alot of packs to choose from.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Want the best:

http://www.kifaru.net/MGhome.htm

Check out their hunting packs...I prefer their military camoed line, but these will not let you down.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:56 AM

I"ve looked at about every pack made, including Kifaru. Kifaru are not cheap but well made. I've got a number of packs. But at the moment the Eberlestock just one is replacing all my packs. I dont' know that there is a better more well designed pack out there period. And it can go from 2000 to 6000 CuIn capacity as you go along. FWIW I don't think there will be a better one to come along in a long time. Comfortable. Able to pack out elk hindquarters. Internal frame.

At least go to the eberlestock website and take a glance. I"ve not heard a negative comment from anyone else that has one so far.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. Badlands pack would be my first choice..on a semiguided hunt you are not packing the camp on your back.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8
Cabela's sells an Alaskan pack.
I have the Alaskan Guide pack from Cabela's http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rue&hasJS=true
This is a serious external frame with shelf unit and I would not suggest it for your type of hunt. Don't get me wrong it's a sweet unit and is used for they guy who needs to pack all his goods into the woods as well as packing out quarters.
Your on a guided hunt with horses that will be taking out the meat and I would go with a good day pack with an internal frame for your daily adventures out of camp. Might want to go with a duffel bag to load onto the horses to get you to camp and then use your day pack while hunting.
Like Elkcrazy say's there are many choices as far as brands, but that is the set up I would go with.
When I set out on an adventure in the area I use a small day pack in combination with a fanny pack and I can carry all I need in those. The day pack for clothes,lunch and such. Knives,rope,GPS, gun accesories in the fanny as well as water bottle.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:43 AM

JMO. . . . If you are planning to do alot of hiking through some tough country, I think, stay away from external frame packs. I backpacked for years. External frames are nice for easy well groomed trails where no scrambling is needed. If you are going through heavy brush, over logs, rocks etc. You will appreciate the internal frames. The weight is closer to your back less crap sticking out etc. The only draw back is less ventalation (sp?) for your back. Hunting in the fall should be pretty cool though so I would not let it stop me.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:36 AM

Listen,I been reading about the smart hunters using the smaller bicycle wheeld carts and saying no more back packs.I hunted logging roads and mt. areas in Idaho and when I go back the carts gonna be with me.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Kifaru does make a excellent pack-$$. I have one one of their Scout packs and it is well designed. The larger versions have an optional game carrier that I have not used but have been told carries large loads like elk quarters with relative comfort and ease. Built to high standards, your grand kids will using it.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:24 PM

Kifaru makes a very nice pack.

Barney's Sport Chalet here in Anchorage makes about the best damned external frame backpack on the market.

For what you are doing, you don't need either one of these packs. If the guide is packing, really, all you need is a good day pack for your lunch, knives, water, emergency gear. A nice day pack or even a fanny pack will be plenty.

Quick Reply: Up coming Elk hunt I need some back pack advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.