Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Light and Heavy Hunting Clothes >

Light and Heavy Hunting Clothes

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Light and Heavy Hunting Clothes

Old 01-25-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Light and Heavy Hunting Clothes

I have now outgrown my hunting clothes and will need new clothes for the 2005 Season. I want some light clothes like rainpants and suits that are comfortable in warmer weather for around start of Bowseason (Oct. 1st) I also need some heavier clothes for the colder and wetter weather that comes in November when im Rifle Hunting to keep me warm. I know I would love Gore-Tex but they are too dog-gon expensive for my budget (if there is some cheaper Gore-Tex than Ill take it) Now the real question is what types of clothing do yo guys recommend for me that isnt too expensive?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Light and Heavy Hunting Clothes

I've got two sets of camo for bowhunting. One set in a dark treebarky pattern for early season and one set in an open branch pattern (Predator) for late season after the leaves fall. They are both the same weight. The later season set is sized bigger to allow for more insulation underneath. That way I can vary the amount of insulation to the conditions. For rain, I have a camo poncho. If it's raining so hard that the poncho won't keep me dry, I go in. I don't think it's a good idea to bowhunt in a heavy rain.
There is no waterproof clothing that's as quiet as regular cotton, wool or fleece hunting clothes.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:54 PM

Could you tell me what brand they are by chance?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:24 AM

The way described below is a good way to be in the woods without spending a ton on single use clothing-back in the day that is exactly what I did-had two suits one regular size for early hunting and one two sizes bigger for cold weather. I would layer up underneath and then put the bigger suit on when it got cold. I did buy a good set of flannels that wicked for the bottom layer and then just loaded with long sleeve shirts and sweat shirts-was able to take a layer off during the day when I needed to. That said I always watch the reduced price sales at Cabela's and Bass Pro on line and the stuff at Gander Mountain-when I bought my first real set of heavies I got them after the season at 60% off from Gander Mountain-going on 10 years now and they still wear well.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

'Dragon,
My early season season stuff is of no particular brand name. It is the right pattern and it's soft. I look for stuff on sale. My favorite early season jacket I got from Cabela's in Microtex fabric. It is very soft, quiet and hasn't faded noticably in 5 yr's. My late season stuff I ordered from Predator.