Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Heavy hunting coat, help !

Old 01-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Heavy hunting coat, help !

I've got an old 10x coat , goretex and thinsulate liner, with bibs. That has served me well and never let me down during bad and cold weather. But, the darn coat weighs nearly 18lbs. It just wears me out by the end of the day(I'm 62) so I'm looking to replace it with something lighter but just as good for warmth,water & wind proof.
Any suggestions reguarding brand or model would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:35 PM

Default RE: Heavy hunting coat, help !

I just purchased a set of bibs and a coat from Cabela's. It is their Dry Plus Silent Suede Series. They are made with Cabela's Dry Plus instead of Gore-Tex and are Thinsulate lined. They are not so heavy as to be bulky either. They seem to be well made and of very high quality. I couldn't be happier with them. You might want to give them a look! Good luck!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:12 AM

I agree with Moturkey. I got one a year ago and I love it. I still have a Cabela gore tex parka and a Columbia wader jacket. I do not like the Columbia, it has bellows pockets that are not nearly deep enough and constantly let items fall out of the pockets when I stoop over. I must have dropped a case of shells in the mud and water because of this defect in the design. I surely would not recommend a Columbia especially at their cost.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is another option. Contact Gary @ Day One Camouflage. They make some nice stuff. Parkas (insulated with wind stopper barrier) can be made in fleece, saddlecloth or cotton. I personally like the fleece as it is light, warm and machine washable. I've got a pair of his bibs and like them alot. Parkas go for around $169.00 I believe. Check for yourself:
www.dayonecamouflage.com
Old 01-13-2005, 10:02 AM

Gander mountain sells one similar to the Cabella one but I have had the Cabella one for 2 years and it works well for me
Old 01-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got a Remington parka last year to replace my old coat. I got it at Bass Pro, after trying on every coat in the store. It fit me a little better, and I have a little more freedom for arm movement. I thought it was a little expensive at the time, but not after being out in nasty weather trying to feed cattle. It was snowing/sleeting and the pickup heater doesn't work so well any more, but I was perfectly warm.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

weatherby makes some good wool. Not sure if you need that much wormth or not.

I am a big wool fan.wind stopper lining is fine till you have to walk up a very big hill in 6 in snow then they are sweat boxes.

colambia is a cheeper wool that works very good allso.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ELKINMTCWB

weatherby makes some good wool. Not sure if you need that much wormth or not.

I am a big wool fan.wind stopper lining is fine till you have to walk up a very big hill in 6 in snow then they are sweat boxes.

colombia is a cheaper wool that works very good also.
i vote wool. i have been using colombia wool pants, shirt and hooded jacket for 2 years now and wouldnt change anything...good stuff
Old 01-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, CHECK OUT RAVEN WEAR.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Being from the northeast I hunt almost exclusively in wool because of the quietness. Deer season is usually cold and wet and wool keeps the heat in even when wet. Down side is that it does get heavy when wet. There is a new product that I plan to get this year called Beaglewear. Check out the web site http://www.beaglewear.com/. Big time hunters and trackers like the Benoits from Vermont and Berniers from Maine have switched to this new wool clothing. I have a friend that I hunt with and he has coat and pants and said that the clothing is lite, warm and water proof. I got Cabelas Silent Seude with Dry Plus packable rain wear for last years Newfoundland Caribou hunt and it was awsome. I expect their insulated hunting coats are the same.

Quick Reply: Heavy hunting coat, help !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.