Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Leaf River Trail Cam Reviews

Old 01-06-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Leaf River Trail Cam Reviews

Anybody with info on a Leaf River Trail-Cam (Digital only) please give me your opinion of this cam. I am thinking about buying one and want to hear from those who have used if they would recommend it over other brands.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leaf River Trail Cam Reviews

You should conduct a "search" on these boards, especially the Bowhunting Gear Review forum here. There have been lots of talk of this great cam. It seems that it is quickly establishing itself as the favorite digital trail cam of MANY serious hunters everywhere. I personally have experinece with the Stealth 3MP model (JUNK), the Cuddeback, and the Leaf River DC-2. The Leaf River is a great sytem that IMO is better than the others in overall features and ease of use. From the layout and access of the controls to the excellent quality pics this unit takes. Compare it's features with ANY cam in this price range and you'll see the many advantages! The only additional piece of equipment I would suggest is a Masterlock Python to secure the unit.

Here's one of my LR's shown with the Python

Here are the excellent and very simple to operate controls on the LR
Old 01-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are a couple pics of the average LR quality.

These first two are from my buddy Steve, you'll probably run across them in your search here.

More examples

Here's one from buddy and forum member Blodg, IF a digital cam can work in a snow storm that dumps 20" and still triggers properly on deer.... it's earned my respect!
Old 01-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are some daylight pics, as you can see the LR takes a nice clear 2.1Mp image. PLUS, with the software interpetation you can boost it to 4Mp.

Here's a pic from the very first minutes of minutes of shooting light.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:40 PM

i purchased the leaf river dc2 late this season and have not had much time with it, thnx for the great pics and the great locking device (masterlock python) got it and its the stuff.as far as the directions go it gives you a default set up to hang it and take pics. i was wondering if anyone has an idea as far as the ir sensitivity knob best setting for this cam?? the inst says to put it about 12:00...any help or tips would be great!! and any other tips i would be so thank full 4..........later shootr
Old 01-12-2005, 07:21 PM

IL-Cornfed:
Is it better to set the Resolution at 1.3 or 2.1? I just got mine for Christmas and I'm just now getting to experiment. Also I checked it in the field today and had a lot of blank pics. Like whiteouts. All of the pics were at night. I checked the settings and it was set for 24 hour. Could I have another setting wrong? Thanks for any suggestions. Jimmy
Old 01-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would set the cam for 2.1MP for sure, then use your software to up to 4MP if you want to? I don't worry about the software, I've been very pleased with the 2.1MP images I get from my LR's. That is puzzling on why exactly you are getting blank pics however? If they were clear pics that simply didn't have a critter in them than I would suggest that you have your cam to close to the deer and they are quickly stepping past it before it is triggered but the "white out" no subject pics have me clueless??? [&:]
Old 01-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Well I may have found the answer. After making that post I went back and looked through the directions. On the last page was this headline"Daylight pictures are too white". It goes on to say to change the viewing screen to Auto flash and to reduce the the EV setting. I'll give that a try next time I go and see how it does.
By the way do you recommend a certain kind of CF card or memory card? Thanks for you input. Jimmy
Old 01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HollidayHunter

Well I may have found the answer. After making that post I went back and looked through the directions. On the last page was this headline"Daylight pictures are too white". It goes on to say to change the viewing screen to Auto flash and to reduce the the EV setting. I'll give that a try next time I go and see how it does.
By the way do you recommend a certain kind of CF card or memory card? Thanks for you input. Jimmy
Sounds like you found the fix! I don't really have a preference for CF Cards. I've tried a few different brands and had good results with all but one. For the most part my CF cards are Kodak and Transcend, 32 or 64MBs offer plenty of memory unless you're going to be doing a bunch of video clips, then you'll want to step up some. I just want still pics and I check my cams about every week so these have plenty of memory for me. Keep us posted on your results with you LR, looking forward to seeing some pics!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's one of my fav LR 2.1MP pics that I've seen yet. Look at all the natural colors captured, just an excellent photo!

Quick Reply: Leaf River Trail Cam Reviews

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.