Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

clay pigeon thrower

Old 12-29-2004, 10:37 AM

Default clay pigeon thrower

ok i need some advice on throwers. i've looked on Cabelas and Bass Pro, found one by Do All Traps, its a double 3/4 cock trap, just shy of $300.00.

http://www.doalloutdoors.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DAO&Product_Co de=DT534&Category_Code=

link not working, must cut and paste.

whats the difference between a full or 3/4 cock trap?

what is the difference between skeet and sporting clays?

anyone have a do-all trap?

any other suggestions?
Old 12-29-2004, 03:11 PM

Default RE: clay pigeon thrower

I've got one of the Do-all post mounted traps. Very nice. Well worth the $$. Built very solid. I don't shoot clay birds as much as I used to, but I've had this trap for about 8 years or so & I used to use it quite often. I also have a cheaper trap that I picked up at Dicks for around $35 or so. I think it's called a Clay King or something. It works okay too but isn't quite as versitile as the Do-all. Only problem with the post mounted trap is that you'll need a post. Not quite as portable that way.

There are several different sized targets in sporting clays. I'll get to that later, but the Do-all traps will throw them all. It is fully adjustable so if you can dream it up, it will likely be able to throw it there for you.

Skeet is a game that is shot on a field consisting of 8 stations set in a semi-circle. There is a high house on the left side where the targets are released from an elevated position, and a low house on the right side where the trap throws from basically ground level. The targets are thrown the same & should fly basically the same every time. The difference comes as you move around the circle from station to station because the angle at which you face the target changes making some stations easier than others. It's a fun game. Usually costs less than $5 to shoot a round consisting of 25 targets and shouldn't take much more than 20 to 30 minutes or so to shoot a round. Check out the National Skeet Shooting Association for more details.

NSSA

Sporting clays is quite a bit different. You'll shoot sporting clays on a course that wanders through fields, woods, etc. with the idea that it will more closely represent actual bird hunting situations. You'll shoot several targets from one station; either single targets, or pairs, and then you'll move to the next station. It's a little like golf in that way. You'll see all kinds of different shots presented at the various stations. And you could see targets from more than one trap at the same station. For instance, a pair may consist of a flying target and a rabbit, etc. It's an increadibly fun way to spend a few hours. This is what I used to shoot the most. It's a bit more costly though. I used to pay anywhere from $35 to $45 to shoot a round of 100. Then there are a lot of little local tournaments that cost me anywhere from $45 to $60 for 100 targets but these always included a great lunch or dinner afterward. Check out the National Sporting Clays Association for more details.

NSCA

As I mentioned, there are several different sized targets in sporting clays. First is the standard sized (108 mm diameter), dome shaped, target that's used for skeet & trap. The majority of the targets you see will be this one. Then there is the Midi. It's a mid-sized version of the standard target at 90 mm diameter. A little tougher to hit and the speed (and therefore required lead) is a little decieving because it looks like a standard target that is further away but it actually flys a little faster. Next is the Mini. It's the same shape as the previous two but at a small 60 mm diameter. These things are quick and tough to hit. I've not seen them used at too many shoots but they're fun when you do see them.

The next target is the Rabbit. It's the same diameter as the standard target (108 mm), but it's flat, not dome shaped, and has a reinforced rim to resist breaking as it's rolling & bouncing across the ground. By far my favorite target to shoot. There's a local club here that hosts the "Bunny Hop" around Easter. The majority of the 100 targets are rabbits thrown in all kinds of different situations.

And the last target is known as the Battue. It also has a 108 mm size and is flat like the rabbit, but it doesn't have the reinforced rim. And I believe it's a bit thinner as well. It almost reminds me of a CD, but probably just a little thicker. This target is typically thrown in a "springing teal" setup where it will be thrown straight up rather than outward. It's a tricky target because it's nearly impossible to break and really hard to see when it's on edge. You've got to wait for just the right moment when it turns on it's side & presents a bigger surface.

All clay target sports are a whole lot of fun. Check out the sites above & also ShotgunSports.com for shoots & clubs in your area & give it a shot (pun intended).

Forgot to mention....I believe the biggest difference between the full & 3/4 trap is that the 3/4 trap is a little quicker & easier to reset.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:24 PM

Default RE: clay pigeon thrower

thanks very much for your reply, everything i needed to know. sounds like you've done your fair share of trap/skeet shooting. i have bird hunted for years but never shot much trap until this christmas, i finally talked one of my brothers into giving the outdoors a try. both my brothers, 2 cousins and I got together over christmas and shot a case of clays, i think this may become and annual event. thanks again.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 AM
Spike

Default Clay Pigeon Thrower

Hey, PRO-10 500 Target double clay thrower is a unique clay pigeon thrower which can throw single or stacked double targets, with just 1 adjustment.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

The dual thrower Do All trap is a very good trap for home owners & is common to see at Sporting Clays clubs.

I have a older one that is the full cock type & have been using it for years. It handles all target types with ease, except that only the right hand thrower is intended for rabbit targets.

Speed is adjustable & if turned up can make them smoke a bit. Great to set it up, load with double batue targets stacked in both throwing arms and fling a flurry if you wish to offer a really tough challenge for at home fun with a auto loading shotgun. But you never get more than 2 at a time in any clays game.