Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV advice

Old 12-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ATV advice

At my hunt camp we run Big Bears, Suzukis and a Grizzly 660. The 660 gets bogged down and drowned out where the smaller Big Bears just walk through. The Suzuki has broke down many times.
I would suggest a 400cc class with 500cc as the top range and to avoid a the rubber belt drives if you plan on going through much water. Honda or Yamaha are all I would consider. Make sure you buy a winch and aftermarket tires are also a good upgrade.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Yamaha Kodiak and love it. Like some others have said, can't go wrong with either Yamaha or Honda. really, they are all good. all have pros and cons. you need to do some reading/research, find out what you want and see which machines have those features, then see/ride those brands/sizes. check out ATV TV website - they have some better, more indepth reviews now. the things i will be looking for when i get a new machine are - independent rear suspension, manual front locker, and good racks (i'm pretty sure it will be a Yamaha, but never know. I'm am positive it won't be a Polaris - heard some bad things (some good too) - the main thing i've heard is that they are decent machines but aren't set up like most others, therefore everything is awkward for non-polaris drivers.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to point you in the direction of a "mid-size"(300-450cc), 4X4, utility quad. Simpler the better. And anything without floorboards, I'd pass on.

If going new, I'd say Yamaha or Honda for sure. And look for something with a additional starter other than the electric. And there's no just no need to do any shifting anymore-get an automatic.

If going used I'd throw in the Kawasaki Bayou. I know several guys who have older Bayou's and they are practically bullet proof. All of them are 300's except for an even older 220 that has a gazillion hours on it and it still goes like new, but doesn't look it!

The things I'd stay far away from is the larger displacement rides (they SUCK gas). They are very heavy and get stuck much more easily. It's common to see them stuck in the mud with the smaller machines either just going around them or having to help and pull them out. No Polaris or Arctic Cat, either. If I see a dead quad on the trail up ahead I can be pretty sure it's one of those and when you get up there the rider is always fully ticked! "I paid so much for this thing and it always has problems!" I think guys who buy those think they are buying an image or something, like they are better than others somehow. Oh well, their wasteful spending is indeed buying them something-a lesson.

Me, I ride a Yamaha Bruin 350 and it fits all my needs. Enough power. Full floorboards. Great rack capacity (which everyone disregards anyway). Full size tires. Automatic. 4X4. Camoflauge. (Yea, for the uses you stated, I think you'd want camo.)

The Bruin easily hauled 3 guys in and out of the woods, dragging deer. It just churns right through the deep mud on the farm. The mud in S. IL is like whipped clay that'll suck you in.

$5000.00

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 12-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

duckstampede, What ever brand of 4 wheeler you deside get the 4 wheel drive model especially if you are going to use it in snow. Also get the winch. sometime or another you are going to be glad you got the winch.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:37 PM

I'm happy with my 99 yamaha kodiak.If your going to have oppurtunity to ride in steep incline areas I would recommend a quad that you shift so as not to accidently roll it over.An automatic could apply to much power and could possibly flip backwards.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm happy with my 99 yamaha kodiak.If your going to have oppurtunity to ride in steep incline areas I would recommend a quad that you shift so as not to accidently roll it over.An automatic could apply to much power and could possibly flip backwards
The same thing can happen with either an automatic or a manual shift.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:38 PM

possible but more controlable if manualy shifted.I can put mine in 1st gear and run full throttle with out worring about goosing the throttle or going any faster .With the auto if you feel it loosing power and goose the throttle which could cause it to rear up is what I'm referring to.Just my Opinion as I ridin both types and was able to get front wheels off the ground easier with the auto.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

possible but more controlable if manualy shifted.I can put mine in 1st gear and run full throttle with out worring about goosing the throttle or going any faster
I ride a honda rubicon which has an automatic transmission, but I can still override the transmission and select any one of five preset ratios.This gives me the same control as a manual transmission but with the advantages of an automatic.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:37 PM

Honda or yamaha! in that order!

Honda foremans are the most bullet proof toughest atv's you can buy PERIOD!

I have a kawasaki 300 bayou 4x4 that i have had for about 12 years it has never been as dependable as the honda.

I also would recommend highlifter or atv nation for some added research. i will bet you will find the honda is dominate on both.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:59 AM

Thanks guys-I have started to investigate and your help has been tremendous in getting me prepared-seems I didn't really have a clue as to what I needed-but now do.

Quick Reply: ATV advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.