Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cold Feet?

Old 12-22-2004, 10:51 PM

Default Cold Feet?

I live in central Illinois, I only hunt shotgun season. The season temperature varies year to year sometimes it will be 40 and sunny and other times it will be 0 with snow. This year I went out and sat for 2 hours in 30 degree weather and my feet were freezing. My 600Gram Rocky BobCat boots won't do the trick. I have tried different socks and my feet still get cold. I was shopping at a local farm store and they had Browning rubber hunting boots with both 1000 and 2000 gram thinsulate models, I have never wore rubber boots before, will they keep my feet warm? What do I need. Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cold Feet?

boot blankets and foot warmers are what work for me, or just a boot with over 1000 grams insulation will usually do the trick, if your wearing to thick of a sock, your foot may be sweating while you are walking in that 'll cause your foot to freeze
Old 12-23-2004, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a pair of Lacrosse or Sorel boots with the felt liners and don't wear cotton socks. I use Lacrosse rubber Burlies when the temp is above freezing. But, for cold temp.s there is nothing warmer than the felt liners. You can take them out and dry them after hunting and they are just as warm the next day.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

We can have some pretty cold weather here during hunting season and I have not had any problems with my Sorel boots and cold feet. As Wingbone mentioned the advantage is being able to remove the liners to let them dry. When boots are rated for -74°C, you know that they are good. Just a little note: -40°C is equivalent to -40°F
Old 12-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use rubber boots with 1000 gram Thinsulate in them .
I use rubber boots for almost all deer hunting because they are scent free , leather , cordura and other boot materals smell and hold other smells that can give you away.
Just buy them big enough to put 2 layers of socks on ( 1 wicking layer and then a wool or wool blend ) on and not feel tight.
If I have to walk far to my blind I change socks when I get there and put the pair I take off in a sealed plastic bag, leaves you with dry warm feet and contains the smell.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

No, No, No. No matter what you do rubber boots will be cold. I sugest buying Lacrosse PFT Extreme or Rocky Snowstalker Extreme. Rubber conducts cold or heat very well and does not allow persperation to excape. You need two other things Wool socks over 80% wool, second thing sock liners polypropoline. Place the polypro socks on first and then the wool socks. Change the liners either halfway through the day. Any boot can be sent free with scent killer spray.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your on stand and not walking to much the feltpack boots will do the trick. I wouldn't use feltpacks if you do a good deal of walking. They will wear you out. If you walk most of the day a good 200 to 250 gr. insulated, Gore Tex boot with a silk under sock and wool over sock will help bleed the persperation away and still keep you dry and toasty.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Rad this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...564&hasJS=true

click on buyers guide
Old 12-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Arctic Sheild boot covers , or buy a pair of Lacrosse Ice Kings. I have them and my feet feel like they are against the fire in the coldest weather. Same boots they use on the Iditarod ( spelling ? ) good to -80
Old 12-25-2004, 11:26 AM

FWIW I bought a bit of Arctic Shield gear to go to Alaska last fall. It was down to zero a few nites. Arctic shield is a bunch of junk. It never kept me anywere near warm. I had mil surplus mits along just in case. Thank God! That and a liner glove with a wool glove worked fine.

I also don't buy the bit about rubber boots being cold. I have a number of pairs of mickey mouse rubber milt surpl boots that are really warm. Heavy and bulky but warm.

One last thing-- even with felt packs-- if you have a good snug fit, you'll be cold. Have to have air room for insulation to work. Just like wall insulation in the house. If its compacted it can't work. Much the same if you can't fluff your sleeping bag out either. Loft is an often used term and the theory is the same in boots. For stands and cold weather I normally wear a boot thats one size too big. Went from freezing in LaCrosse packs to warm and toasty in the same boot in a larger size.

If I have to walk a long ways and then sit all day I take a pair of big overboots by wiggys. Put em on when I get there AFTER I swap socks.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Cold Feet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.