HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   climbing tree stand recommendations? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/79632-climbing-tree-stand-recommendations.html)

david m 11-18-2004 01:06 PM

climbing tree stand recommendations?

i'm currently just using a tree seat mounted at the base of a tree, and i'd like to upgrade to a climbing stand, preferably something more comfortable than what i have been sitting on...but without spending too much money.

does anyone have any recommendations?

shuler44 11-18-2004 02:06 PM

RE: climbing tree stand recommendations?

anything summit....its worth it to pay a little more. I have the bullet and its just great, but the viper is just about as good only difference is it dont fold flat and will save you a little $$$

VAhuntr 11-18-2004 02:10 PM

I would look at the Summit Viper or Goliath, especially if you have never used a climber before. Don't go just on cost alone, cheap stands are usually either heavy, noisy or uncomfortable. I have used many different brands over the years and the Summits are the best IMO. Look on ebay as there are several Vipers for sale on there now.

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-18-2004 02:28 PM

You cant go wrong with the summits. I dont own one, but will get one after the season. I use an API and I love it, but I would like to have another stand and summit is way togo. My friend also uses the API, and he brought a hunters view climbing stand for $100, he likes it for the money, but like others said the cheaper ones will be heavy, noisy, and not as comfotable as the better brands

Ruger-Redhawk 11-18-2004 03:16 PM

Last year I bought a couple of Gunslingers.Since I got them my Treelounges are very seldom used. For a free brochure contact :
JRH Sport Industries,Inc.
6550 S.R. 16
St. Augustine, FL. 32092 (904) 940-3381

They have a 250 pound and 350 pound models
they run around 259.00. IMO they are one of the better stands on the market.

Ruger Redhawk

Sam Houston 11-19-2004 07:08 AM

I recently bought a cheap stand from Wal-Mart. When I took it out of the box for assembly it became obvious why it was cheap. I took the stand back and told customer service that I was disappointed that Wal-Mart would even sell anything like that. IMO the stand was unsafe for climbing. This brings up a point: What is your life worth? If you are going to risk climbing 20-30 feet up it would be comforting to know that you have a safe, reliable piece of equipment. We only have one body. I'm sure you read about countless numbers of tree stand falls each year. Granted, most are not wearing a safety harness. Do yourself a favor, look at several stands and opt for a reputable stand. I can't speak for the Summits but it seems that many persons are very high on the Goliath. It costs a little more, but for my money you can not beat the Buckshot Equalizer.

Charlie P 11-19-2004 11:42 AM

Posted about the same question before bow season and I'm glad I took the advice I recieved. Summit .I bought a Goliath and couldn't be happier.

solocamshooter1 11-19-2004 12:27 PM

I bought a Summit Viper X4 this summer... Man, it's the most comfortable and easy climbing stand I've ever used. The foot rest is a added plus to this stand. Throw you a Summit front bag on and it's like sitting in a recliner!

david m 11-19-2004 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Posted about the same question before bow season and I'm glad I took the advice I recieved. Summit .I bought a Goliath and couldn't be happier.
that's what i'm leaning towards. it looks nice.

ButchA 11-19-2004 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: solocamshooter1

I bought a Summit Viper X4 this summer... Man, it's the most comfortable and easy climbing stand I've ever used. The foot rest is a added plus to this stand. Throw you a Summit front bag on and it's like sitting in a recliner!
LOL!!!! That's how I feel about my Viper X4! :D[8D] The most comfortable, quietest, lightweight, and rugged, tree stand I have ever bought! No lie.... I have actually dozed off on more than one occasion in my Summit Viper X4. It is that comfortable.

Butch A.