Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Safety Vest / Strap

Old 09-28-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Safety Vest / Strap

Howdy;

I've decided that I need a harness for when I'm in my stand. I've read nothing but good things on here about Summit's products, so I've narrowed it down to 3 systems and would like opinions.

1st if from Summit directly it is the SOP Fastback for 47.99

2nd is also from Summit, it is the SOP Supreme for 89.99

3rd is from Cabela's, it's a Summit Fastback (doesn't say SOP) for 39.99

Is the one from Cabelas the same as the 1st one from Summit? Would I be served by the Fastback or do I "need" the Supreme. What is the difference?? From what I can tell it has nothing to do with the harness itself, just the complexity of the vest that it comes attached to. Pockets, etc....

In this area I'm not really looking to skimp on the price, safety is safety. But I don't want to spend $50 that I don't have to either.

Thanks;
Old 09-29-2004, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Safety Vest / Strap

Howdy back, I might suggest looking into the Hunter Safety System.I bought one a year ago and it's a great vest.I saw them at a hunting show a couple months ago. The demonstration was very informitive.They have different models. reversible camo and orange or the bow hunter all camo.Here is their web site to look it over.
http://www.deerhuntinggear.net

Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-29-2004, 04:10 PM

You know, there's no substitue for handling one and trying to put it on. I used a harness last year for the first time (first time in a climbing stand too - fun!). I kind of cheaped out and bought an inexpensive safety harness. Safety isn't an issue - it is definitely safe if used correctly. But it's pretty "fussy" to put on. Very difficult in the dark opening morning, and I had practiced with it a couple of times. After the third or fourth time putting it on, it was OK.

You also want one that can easily be put on over whatever you're wearing including if you're wearing the heavy snowmobile suit type thing. And, also allow you to put a jacke over it if you get cold up in the stand. So it needs to be easy to adjust to thin or bulky clothing.

Easy and fool proof is much better, even if it costs $20 more, imho!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:30 PM

I will second the comment about finding one that is easy to use and put on. One came with my stand that is strong and ok for most use. One thing that I did to make life much easier in the morning is to label the various ends and buckles so that I know which hole the right and left arm go through, which buckle is the belt buckle, etc. Otherwise I would get discomboobulated some mornings and have to take it off and start again.

Another way to make it work better: I wear mine under my jacket / blaze. I put it on at the car, then just tuck the tree straps down inside a pocket until I get where I am going. Then, pull out the tree straps, hook to the tree and start climbing. You would be amazed at how much easier it is when you are at the car with plenty of light and no more gear to manage.

Chubber
Old 09-30-2004, 03:11 PM

Now I remember that I did what Chubber did after the first or second day also. Definitely much easier when you can lay it out in the light. The "business end" of the harness comes up through the neck of whatever jacket I'm wearing, so I could literally put it on underneath everything I'm wearing if I wanted. I also have a snap on hood on my warm jacket, and there's enough space between the snaps so the harness strap can go through.

But my brother spend an extra $15 or $20 and bought a vest type which I think is probably a lot simpler and fool proof. I'm going to buy a new one probably (need two now), but will try them on first in the store.