Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Range finder - Any suggestions >

Range finder - Any suggestions

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Range finder - Any suggestions

Old 09-07-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Range finder - Any suggestions

Hey,
I'm considering purchasing a range finder for siting in my scope and for when I'm in the tree stand for bow hunting. Does anyone have a range finder and if so do you really use it? Is it worth the money? Also, does anyone have any suggestions so to a good name brand and model? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range finder - Any suggestions

I have the Leica LRF 900. This brand has very good quality optics and has a red LED display for distance. The display works very well in dark areas and is accurate. The Leica is one of the best for quality in optics and are know for top quality in binoculars and camera lens.

I have used it at the range to check the distance on targets and found that the range was out on the distance marked. I have also used it for hunting deer with shotgun and rifle to establish distance when sitting in tree stands. The range finder is a useful tool and I would suggest to any one. The Leica range finder is one of the best but does cost a little more. .....Good luck...
Old 09-08-2004, 06:46 AM

I've had terrific luck with the Nikon 800. I've had two now due to the first one was stolen. Nokon has great optics and one of the features I like is it has circuitry that filters out the distortion caused by heavy rain or snow. I don't know if anyone else does that or not. One thing to keep in mind, the greater the maximum range is for the rangefinder, the more accurate the RF is at 'normal' hunting distances. Not that 1 or 2 yards will make that big a difference, but it's good info to know.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:19 AM
Typical Buck

I've got the Bushnell Yardage Pro.

It works great for me.

Don't know what I could want it to do more than it does now.

Wally world.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lieca is the best I have tried. However your usage model sounds very similar to mine prodominantly used in bow season or for assess yardages upon setting up vs. ranging game on the hoof and quickly shooting. If so I have a Bushnell Pro Scout and it works just fine. However if your looking for LRF and quickly shoot( rifle) than consider the Leica first and foremost.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:34 AM

I've been looking at the Leupold RB800 binocular/rangefinder combo. I'd don't want to have to carry 2 separate pieces, if I can avoid it. Does anyone have any opinion about this or other combo units?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got the Bushnell Yardage Pro.

It works great for me.

Don't know what I could want it to do more than it does now
Same Here
Old 09-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just purchased Nikon 440! Pleased with them so far!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:50 AM

By far, the Leica is the best I've used and well worth the money!
Old 09-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Spike

The Leica is very clear and easy to use. Pans well with accurate range changes. Unless you want more than a 7x binocular, the range finder is useful for glassing and gets that distance too. Neopreme cover from Cabela's protects and can be hooked up to a chest restraint just like binos. Good hunting.

Quick Reply: Range finder - Any suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.