Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

new spoting scope

Old 08-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default new spoting scope

Ok I am going to bite the bullet and replace a piece of junk . I have been looking at the Leuplod 15 - 45 x 60 Angle spoting scope . Anyone have one ? If you do ,is it up to the Leupold name or is it over priced ?Anything else in this price range $275 that is better ?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new spoting scope

If you’re talking about the Leupold Sequoia angle spotting scope, I bought one last summer. This scope is ok but I personally think the Baucsh & Lomb Elite is a better scope but does cost more. The Leupold is well made, water and fog proof just as it should. Looking back I would have saved up for a higher end spotting scope and would have been much more satisfied. Don’t be mistaken, this scope is not made in the USA, it’s a product from overseas. I just don’t remember which country. The end result is it all depend what you plan on using this scope for.. Good Luck.....
Old 08-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

My wife bought me the Sequoia Wind River for my birthday this year. I am right with trailer it is ok and for my needs is better than my old bushnell. However after I got it I went to the shop and really found nothing that was better in similar or slightly higher price range. My main usage is bullet holes at the range (200yarder) which it works fine and horn judging while scouting equally has been ok. My only dig low light performance on high mag (45X) is very dim and really useless to my eyes! It seems to be decent quality and rugged. The water/fog proof does work as it has seen some water, no complaints on that token.

It is made in Japan and don't quote me but I believe by "Light Optics". The same company that makes Bushnell and host of other products for optical companies.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:06 PM

First of all, decide how big of a scope you want to carry. That will determine how big of objective lense to get. Bigger objective lense lets in more light and, hopefully, a better view. But there are some very fine smaller scopes out there. Then decide on what eyepiece to get. Do you want a wide field of view or narrow? Some eyepieces are fixed power, some are variable. Finally, decide on angled neck or straight. Straight is easier to acquire a target but tough to use when looking up. Angled is great for looking up and, with practice, can acquire a target fairly quickly.

Check out the Nikon Fieldscope. Excellent clarity right to the edge of the glass, small package. Howa makes a great scope, too. Swarovski is making a new smaller objective scope that is supposed to be very nice. Check out the reviews at betterviewdesired.com

Go to a store that has several scopes you can set up, side-by-side to view. You will be surprised how different the views are. You will eventually gravitate toward one or two. Choose the one that is easiest to look through- then you will be happy and it will last for years. Good luck.