Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

one binoc better than other?

Old 07-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default one binoc better than other?

I don't understand how one pair/brand of binoculars can be so much better than the other ex. Bushnell vs. Nikon, I know Nikon are better but why?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:20 PM

Default RE: one binoc better than other?

There are a few things that make binoculars better, but the number one reason is the precision of the grinding of the glass. Its just physics of how the glass bends the light and moves the focal point from a converging lense to your eye. The better the glass, the less distortion, the sharper the image.

Better binoculars will be filled with nitrogen which is an inert gas (will not react) to help prevent fogging of the internal parts of the lenses.

Lens coatings - good bincoulars have special coatings to help filter light and make images sharper. The more lenses that are coated, the more expensive the binocular.

Finally, the very best binos are usually waterproof down to a few meters.

You can get very good glass that is not waterproof reasonably priced. When you get into waterproof binos you get expensive.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

The difference is some are roof prism binos and some are porro prism binos.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Go get a pair of cheap binos....go to walmart and look through a 25 dollar pair. Then, go and grab a set of Busnell, Nikon, etc....you'll see a difference. I had a pair of 15 dollar ones from Walmart......I dove into a pair of Wind River cascades (Lueopolds) 8 X 42, and couldn't believe the difference.

J
Old 07-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

try a 200$ dollar pair of burris then look at a pair of 700$ zeiss. its just no comparison. save up a little more and you wont have to keep up grading
Old 07-24-2004, 11:31 PM

the main times that you will notice is in low light and very bright light cheap binos give you the hazzy views in bright light and no view in low light. the better the bino the less the effects.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:07 AM

Others have mentioned about the coatings, nirtogen filled, precision glass grinding. These are all important for good glass. What sets "best" way apart from good is the precision in the mechanical aligment of the two separate lense systems (right and left) and the ocular and bell alignment. Is both sides moving the same distance at the same time when adjusted? And is this repeatable? Is the adjustment smooth and responsive? Or can you turn the adjustment wheel and not see the image change right away?
The other important features is the way the glass receives the final polish and the coatings on internal mirrows.

Any bino company can coat lenses and fill with the tube with nitrogen or other inert gases (such as argon) and grind good glass. Its how you finish the glass and align it that counts.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:50 AM

all these above hunters are very correct.with glass you get what you pay for.my problem with my eyes has caused me to look thru many pairs.i have used from nikon to leica,many pairs are great on clear days.i had the prob of seeinto darker areas and in low light conditions..i used a pair of swarovski.they were very good but they distorted bright light and did not give a clear view of darker area. i went ti leica and they are great.my eyes never get tired.they are very exoensive si do not tell my wife.i would rate leica as the best with swarovski and leupold second.the leica runs about $1400 now for my 12x50.i use a binoc harness and i can not even tell they are there.it is again just like scopes. you get what you pay for. leica uses the actual lenses that is used for eye glasses.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:01 PM

I have a pair of Leica 8x50 and couldn't be happier. They work great in ANY light condition. But they are VERY expensive (mine were $1100.00) but you do get what you pay for in optics. I can actually see deer at my feeder at 130 yards probably an hour to an hour and a half BEFORE the sun comes up.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:02 AM

First of all, I would like to say thank you to all the folks that have taken the time to inform and educate each other on these type of forums. This is what democracy, freedom and free market economy are all about. May God Bless America!

I am looking for a decent pair of binoculars to mostly hunt with.
>Water reisitant, lightweight and durable are very important.
>Also, I would like to have lifetime guarantee especially if I spend over $350
>I am thinking about the Bushnell Yardage Pro Quest $499.00(unless you know
>a better price on any internet sites)
>It combines a decent range finder within a reasoable binocular
>housing. What do you think?
>It is a little heavy...34oz. Somewhat bigger than I would want. But it
>may beat buying a range finder seperately, huh?
>I am going antelope hunting this Sept in Wyoming and would plan to use it
>there. However, I must admit that this may be shortsighted as I normally
>hunt east coast for deer, ducks, pigs, etc. I normally don't need
>antelope type binoculars.
>What do you think of the

>Bushnell above $499
>Leopold Wind River RB800 8x32 $699
>Olympus Magellan WP 7x50 $140-230
>Celeston Oceana 7x50 $190

>I simply cannot spend over the $700 amount on this as I know that Leica and Kahles also make a pricey and nice combo unit, but to pricey.
>Please refer to
>www.nextag.com
>for a nice review of combo eyepieces and has prices listed

>Also, I could go way cheaper and get some decent binoculars and buy a
>rangefinder seperately
>Red Head Eagle 7x40 for $119
>Leupold Wind River Cascade Series $240
>Bushnell Trophy Series $90-190
Nikon Monarch ATB 8x40 $200-300
>
>
>What do you think fo the combo eyepieces versus just binoculars?
I am always wanting to have both in the same unit, but am I asking for trouble?
I am a first time buyer of decent binoculars. I have used some cheapo's in the past that had fogged up on me in the dcuk blind.

Quick Reply: one binoc better than other?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.