Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 What do use to sharpen your knives? >

What do use to sharpen your knives?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What do use to sharpen your knives?

Old 04-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default What do use to sharpen your knives?

I use an old sharpening stone my grandfather passed to me from his grandfather. He used it to sharpen all his hand carving tools. It has great sentimental value, but I am thinking of getting a stationary belt sander. I have seen how they work and they are spectacular. Anyone else use one? I'm not crazy about the Lansky and it's pretty tough using the stone to get a razor sharp edge like the sander. Comments...JDinAB
Old 04-19-2004, 04:00 PM

Default RE: What do use to sharpen your knives?

I use a coarse Diamond stone to put the angle on and finish with a fine Diamond then hit it on the steel for a shaving sharp edge. I have tried all the fast, easy ways over the years and may take a little longer to get my edge but if you put the right edge on it will only take an occasional touch up with the steel to bring the edge back. I am serious about a shaving sharp edge.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a gatco diamond kit.It is similar to the lansky kit but has larger stones and seems to be designed a bit better.It makes a very sharp edge very quickly.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm the old fashioned one when it comes to sharpening my knives, I prefer to use a stone and oil.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use the Lansky system when I need to re-establish the edge angle, usually about twice a year. In between I use a Shrade diamond steel and a leather strop to keep my knives shaving sharp.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

We bought a Chicago Cutlery set that came with a sharpener...the type that looks like a metal stick with a wooden handle... you run the knife down each side. When I was in high school, I worked for a caterer, and I had to use this kind of sharpener when I carved the roast beef. It is what I know how to use, and it puts a nice edge on my little Buck folding knife.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

I also use a stone while I'm home. In the field I use a Speedy sharpener is what its called. Little orange handle with a carbide tip on the end. It will put back a edge on a knife very fast.

Also its a great tool for taking out a rounded bevel on a knife. It will put back a v shape bevel on the knife and then take it to a finishing stone and you got one sharp knife.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with Cherokee on the Speedy Sharpner, there's none better for putting a razor type edge on a knife in seconds while taking care of game. It takes up no room either, it'll fit right next to your knife, heck my wife even has one in the kitchen to resharpen her kitchen knives, it's that quick and easy. If you'd like to see a picture of one, "click" on my "site" at bottom of this post, got to "products" and there you'll see a picture and description of it. Too I've used the same one for 20yrs now. elknut1
Old 04-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

MY DAD!!!!!! He sharpens knives awesome!!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:59 AM
eck

Cewramic crock sticks for me... the ones that come with two sets of sticks... coarse and fine. Keep 'em clean... and you'll have sharp knives with no fuss and muss.

The angle's always perfect... as all you have to do is keep the blade vertical as you make your strokes. Couldn't be more foolproof... and I'm the proof. lol.

Quick Reply: What do use to sharpen your knives?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.