Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS

Old 03-29-2004, 04:13 AM

Default GPS

I am in the market for a GPS. I have experience with GPS from being in the military, but nsure what is a good one in the civilian market. I like the ones with the larger screens where you can see the map. I also want one where you can download maps of specific areas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: GPS

I have a Magellan Sportrack Map that I think would fit all of your criteria. Probably the only drawback is the memory capacity. I believe it is around 8 megs which would include a 2 meg basemap of all of Northamerica. A travel bundle comes with the computer software which has topo information for all of the US. It is an extra cost but was well worth it in my case.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a garmin man myself so that I what I would recommend. I have a Legend that I really like. It comes with a base map of the US with all of the blacktop roads, you can also load maps to it for better details (topo and some others) It doesn't have the compass on it (you have to be moving for it to work) but it's a bit cheaper and I always have a compass with me anyways. The thing that you want to look for is the smaller pixels for the display, it really helps with maps.

This is my 3rd garmin that I have bought, and if I ever upgrade again it will be another garmin product
Old 03-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same one, a Garmin Legend. Works just great. If you don't have radios already I would look at the Rhino's. They combine a Garmin GPS and a FRS radio. Pretty cool and cheaper than if you buy the items seperate. Plus it allows others with Rhino's to show on the GPS their exact location.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Spike

I have a Garmin 76 (non mapping).
Like the size, size of screen, buttons have the words printed on them, not symbols.
Screen resolution is better than others.
I carry topo maps that I need to, so a mapping GPS's wasn't nessecary.
Its proven to be very handy and reliable.

Won't go in to the woods without it and a compass.
Hope this helps,
- skunkie
Old 03-31-2004, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote goes to the Etrex Legend also. Love that little unit. Couple that with some free S/W on the web and its a great toy checking out new hunting areas with topo maps and aerial photos, downloading or uploading waypoints, etc.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:26 AM
etw

I have a GARMIN sitting in a drawer. The thing was "searching" for hours and never did find itself. This was a little over a year from purchase date. I contacted GARMIN, they said they could fix it for $75.00. I paid a little over a hundred for it, can't see plunking another $75 into it. The new basic models, certainly not a GARMIN are in the $100 dollar range. New, the GARMIN would not work in the woods under an umbrella of trees. Perhaps the new units work better but I just use a compass and topo in new territory. My brother has a Magellan, likes it.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:57 AM

I am looking at getting one myself. I found a good article on the subject. The main suggestion it had was to get one with 12 Channels. It finds itself almost instantly and can easily be turned on and off to save batteries and still get a quick fix on you location.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think any of them work without "line-of-sight" to the sky. That's what my manual said. I can sometimes get away with having it inside a thin pocket in my shirt or coat but if you can't see the sky (under heavy trees, inside a house) it won't work.

ORIGINAL: etw
I have a GARMIN sitting in a drawer. The thing was "searching" for hours and never did find itself. This was a little over a year from purchase date. I contacted GARMIN, they said they could fix it for $75.00. I paid a little over a hundred for it, can't see plunking another $75 into it. The new basic models, certainly not a GARMIN are in the $100 dollar range. New, the GARMIN would not work in the woods under an umbrella of trees. Perhaps the new units work better but I just use a compass and topo in new territory. My brother has a Magellan, likes it.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.