Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GARMIN RHINO 110

Old 12-26-2003, 11:42 AM

Default GARMIN RHINO 110

After hearing good reports about the garmin rhino 110, I decided to buy one and convinced my hunting club (30 guys) to do the same. Well, they want to hang me --the gps part works ok, but the radios are horrible. we tried different channels the best batteries and cannot get them to work well even at close range they have alot of static. Is anyone else having the same problem or are we doing something wrong. Any advise is appreciated

THANK YOU

ps--we hunt on 1500 acres of basically flat property
Old 12-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GARMIN RHINO 110

How about power lines and radio towers in the area.?

I don't have that particular unit, but it would seem logical that if they were ALL screwing up, then there is likely some outside anomoly that is effecting them.

Another thought is ametuer radio operators in the area(HAM) or maybe something as simple as standing to close to a running vehicle or generator.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Makoman, i am not near my units right now, but as soon as i get back to virginia will post another message to let you know how i have mine set up.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, just got back to Virginia this morning, now lets see if i can get you guys to talk to each other.

first of all lets cover some basic information. the unit is equipped with 22 channels, 1 - 15 are FRS and 16 - 22 are GMRS. when using channels 1-15 you can put in a code along with the channel, these are also the ONLY channels that will allow you to send and receive postions from other units. channels 16 - 22 are the GMRS channels, will send further (about five miles), but you cannot put in a code with them and you cannot send and receive positions when using them. they also require a lic to use, but we know how that goes. ok, now on the how i have mine setup.

1. first of all, make sure all units are on the same channels and codes if you are using them.

2. from the channel screen, highlight the menu in the upper left of the screen, second item in from the left. it will bring up a menu with the following items, setup radio, setup tones, setup scan list, etc etc. highlight the setup tones first and then highlight under roger tone and highlight off. all this does is send a tone to the other unit saying you are done talking. you can play around with the call and ring tones on your own, but all units should be set to the same ones.

3. now, highlight setup radio. under Send Location, highlight this area and make sure it is ON. Now highlight the area under VOX level and make sure it is off. (this is only used when you are using an external mic). highlight under respond to polling and turn it ON. highlight under headset type and make sure this says ask when detected. highlight under GMRS Radio and make sure this is ON. now highlight INTERNAL under mic sensitivity and use the main button on the front of the unit to move the slider all the way to the top.

Hope this helps you some.

I corrected the item under polling, need to turn this ON, it is used to send and receive postions from other units.

One more thing, there are a couple of updates to this unit on the garmin website, lastest one is 21 Oct 2003, but i would not want to be the one that had to update 30 units.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:48 PM

Thank you for all the info, I will let you know if we get them working properly.If not we might have to try another brand.

thank you
Old 12-31-2003, 01:59 PM

Makoman,

My hunting group of uses Motorola Talkabouts. There are about 10 of us who use them and we like them a lot. This year somebody used a Rhino to join in the conversation and his reception was horrible. His voice sounded unclear and when he was finished talking and removed his finger from the transmit button, there was a loud scratching noise... not exactly what you want to hear when you're hunting!

I believe that the GPS's work fine on the Rhinos, but the radio portion sure sounds like it's pretty low quality.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have the RINO 120. GPS is great but the radio sucks, I went back to my Motorola T7200, just can't beat it.