Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Sand bags

Old 10-22-2023, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sand bags

I have never used sand bags, always just an adjustable metal rifle rest. So I bought a set of Caldwell shooting sand bags in the spring and put them on the floor under my bench in the garage. Well I went to take them out to use them, and they are hard as a rock. Is this the way they are supposed to be or did they absorb moisture and stiffen up? If they absirbed moisture, how can I make them useable?
thanks
Old 10-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try laying them on a work bench and work them over gently with a piece of wood about 3 or 4 inchec in diameter. Don't really pound it or the seams may rupture. Let us know how it worked out. I never heard of sand bags getting hard. My sand bahs don't have sand in them, they have some kind of plastic beads.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:34 PM
Spike

Yeah, that's the way it should be.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

i used empty shot bags. i put the sand into a heavy plastic bag that i put inside the shot bags and sealed them. them sewed the end of the shot bag with string. the sand seems not to get hard even though i keep them out in my shed all year.