Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

scope changes point of impact

Old 11-19-2022, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default scope changes point of impact

I missed a deer today that I shouldn't have !40-yard broadside open field. I never realized that when you change magnification the point of impact changes! from 3 power to
9 power it shot about a foot high! Is this because of a cheap a## scope?
Old 11-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

the point of impact should not have changed that much. ive used variable scopes for a long time and never noticed my rifles point of impact moving that much. maybe an inch or less. id take it to the range and check the zero on it. try shooting it both with a low power and a higher power setting on the scope and see if it changes. also turning the scope up to say 9x or higher causes aiming to be more sensitive as its easier to move off center then when at a lower setting. with the deer that close you should not have needed the scope turned up that high. i very seldom turn my scopes up that high when hunting. usually never go over 4 or 5 power.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:43 AM
Typical Buck

that's the first thing I did . Set up a target at 30 yards at 9 power WAY HIGH !! Dropped it to 3 power dead on !
Old 11-20-2022, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by johnl
that's the first thing I did . Set up a target at 30 yards at 9 power WAY HIGH !! Dropped it to 3 power dead on !
Get rid of the scope!
Old 11-20-2022, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Time for a new scope.

Something everyone should do with their rifles is shoot at various powers and distances.

Sometimes I'll shoot at 3,6&9 power at 10,50&100 yards.

Let's you know a little bit about your set up.

And can save you from missing a buck.

-Jake
Old 11-20-2022, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

excellent advice if I had checked different mag powers that scope would have gone into the trash a long time ago . Cabelas has a vortex 3x9 by 50 on sale for $120 ordered it and one for my son for Christmas. I've got a vortex on my crossbow and love it
Old 11-26-2022, 04:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by johnl
excellent advice if I had checked different mag powers that scope would have gone into the trash a long time ago . Cabelas has a vortex 3x9 by 50 on sale for $120 ordered it and one for my son for Christmas. I've got a vortex on my crossbow and love it
Plus you get an unlimited lifetime wearranty VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex® product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it. If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods and monoculars.
  • UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
  • FULLY TRANSFERABLE
  • NO RECEIPT NEEDED
Old 12-10-2022, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

i agree with Oldtimer and Jake on getting rid of that scope. time for a new one. wonder if the scope has parallax in it.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quality scopes will not shift POI with magnification change.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Quality scopes will not shift POI with magnification change.
Correct.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.