Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Herniated disk and upcoming Bear hunt >

Herniated disk and upcoming Bear hunt

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Herniated disk and upcoming Bear hunt

Old 07-15-2022, 11:51 PM
Spike

Default Herniated disk and upcoming Bear hunt

Hi,

I recently herniated the disc between C6and C7 in my neck. It is causing severe nerve pain and weakness from my shoulder to my fingertips on my left arm. I am scheduled for surgery on august 4th and Bear hunting opens a little more than a month later. This was an 8 year wait to get drawn. So I donít want to miss out. I am a right handed shooter and will be using a 308. What I would like to do is have a plan in place gear wise to help with not having to hold the forestock with my left hand if possible. Any suggestions on a bipod or tripod to help out? I will be in an elevated stand that isnít super big.
thanks!
Old 09-09-2022, 12:20 AM
Spike

Depends on your budget, I know you can pick up a decent Vortex one(High Country II) for like 150-200, Leupold and Meopta are closer to 350-400. Usually tripods are adjustable so you shouldn't worry about it being too tall, I'd say Vortex one gonna fit even in smaller stands, Leupold is a bit bulkier, but still should have no problems.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any adjustable bipod or tripod will work. I got a spring bear this year using that very technique. Rifle forearm was resting on the bipod. I was sitting with my elbows resting on my knees, my non-trigger hand braced against the toe of the butt. It makes for a very stable, benchrest-like shooting experience. The only difference is, I was in a ground blind. One tip, I wrapped the cradle of the bipod in a short length of foam pipe insulation to make sure there is adequate padding.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Bog pod tripod I bought when I got drawn for an elk license. It helped me make a 155 yard shot and kill my elk. I am going for antelope in Oct and my bog pad is going with me.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I have a Bog pod tripod I bought when I got drawn for an elk license. It helped me make a 155 yard shot and kill my elk. I am going for antelope in Oct and my bog pad is going with me.
How are Bog on price to quality ratio? Gonna be looking to get a new one soon-ish and would love some feedback on different manufacturers(my old Vortex hunting tripod from https://gritroutdoors.com/optics/opt...ories/tripods/ is all shacky at that point)

Last edited by Timbr; 09-13-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Timbr View Post
How are Bog on price to quality ratio? Gonna be looking to get a new one soon-ish and would love some feedback on different manufacturers

I think they are well made and worth the cost, I really like mine. You can buy different rests for the top if you want.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I think they are well made and worth the cost, I really like mine. You can buy different rests for the top if you want.
Aight, sounds good. Been thinking about something like pig saddle, but gonna make up my mind once I'm actually buying it