Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Advice for new Pack System

Old 08-03-2021, 05:17 AM
Spike

Default Advice for new Pack System

Hey everyone, as you can tell I’m in the market for a new pack/frame system. Until now I’ve been roughing it in the pack area with just a military surplus waxed canvas pack and a 30L ogio brand backpack. I’m looking for a “one pack to do it all” system if possible, something that will cover my hunting, camping, hiking, traveling/outdoors needs. In detail currently this includes day hunts, weekend camping trips, fishing trips, hiking and backpacking/travel. Looking for something with the ability to haul minimum 60L(more if weight/bulk isn’t a huge factor) of gear and pack meat, in upcoming seasons I plan to also get into backpack hunting(3-5 day trips) so this is where the hauling ability comes in.

So far I’ve somewhat narrowed it down to the Mystery Ranch Metcalf or an Eberlestock F1 frame with Batwings(I have dry bags/packs that will make up the extra capacity needed). Keep in mind I am 6’1” 220lbs w/ a 23” torso and 22” broad shoulders. I really like the reviews on the Metcalf, it has the capacity and ability to do all the things mentioned, comfort and durability. My only concern is bulk, is the pack too big for the smaller minimalist activities, examples simple day hunts, hikes, fishing, etc? This is where the idea for the Eberlestock w/Batwings came in, essentially it would stay ready to go at all times with the option to add another bag to the frame for those longer trips where more capacity is needed. But at what sacrifice? Load hauling abilities inferior? Comfort? These things I don’t know. And unfortunately I do not have the ability to try any of these on, I live in a rural area of Canada and have to order this stuff online. All suggestions and experiences are welcome. Thanks!