Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Leupold, Pooheyyyy.

Old 11-17-2003, 08:04 AM
Spike

Default RE: Leupold, Pooheyyyy.

I took my Leupold back to the sporting goods store and they simply took and and gave me a new scope. Works like it should now.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:26 PM

These posts about Leupold VX-II' s are scaring me. I just bought one last week and will be mounting it on my deer rifle very soon for the upcoming season in two weeks. Man, I hope I don' t have the problems you guys are talking about
Old 11-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am sure that you will hear bad things about ANY scope! After all they are MAN MADE.
The big differences would be in the area of quality control. With higher quality scopes such as the Leupold you will get fewer bad scopes. Another major difference is in the time and effort it takes to get a bad scope repaired or replaced. I' ve had two Tasco' s go bad and it took several phone calls and about 2-3 months to get them back. I have not had a problem with my Loopy, but I have heard you get your scope fixed in days instead of months!
Old 11-18-2003, 03:55 PM

Hey Jimbo - I wouldn' t read this as a lot of problems with Leupold. Like someone said, if there' s 100,000 satisfied customers and one who gets a defective one, who' s going to post? Personally, I believe original poster either has loose rings or mounts (happened to me - check those mount screws!) or a *very* rare defective Leupold. Please note I' m not denying that he has aproblem, just denying it' s in any way common to Leupold. I' m here to testify that my Leupold has been abused and works flawlessly for 20 years. Just for $hits and giggles, I sent it to the factory for inspection and/or adjustment last winter - lifetime warranty w/o proof of purchase - I' m not even the original owner. Although their instruments showed no problem, they did a refurbish/regassing to factory specs, made a report and shipped back to me at no cost. Can' t get any better than that. - zeke
Old 11-18-2003, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

zeke, I don' t have a mount or ring problem, I have put on enough scopes to know what I' m doing, the mount was never bothered between my old scope and new scope and then old scope again, the rings where very tight, it would group great as long as you did not try to adjust it, once you did it might shoot several inches off from just a couple clicks, then you could shoot it 3 or 4 times and you could cover them shots with a quarter, the scope grouped good, the rings and base was tight, guaranteed.

I truly think that this is a very rare deal with a leupold, but I do and did have scope problems and not rings or base problems.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: strut

zeke, I don' t have a mount or ring problem, I have put on enough scopes to know what I' m doing, the mount was never bothered between my old scope and new scope and then old scope again, the rings where very tight, it would group great as long as you did not try to adjust it, once you did it might shoot several inches off from just a couple clicks, then you could shoot it 3 or 4 times and you could cover them shots with a quarter, the scope grouped good, the rings and base was tight, guaranteed.

I truly think that this is a very rare deal with a leupold, but I do and did have scope problems and not rings or base problems.
Cool. I mentioned it because it happened to me (a mount screw somehow loosened) and it was frustrating until I figured it out. I was thinking my scope was getting bad. My guess is that Leupold will make you a happy customer, I was super impressed with their customer service, even though I didn' t really need it. In talking with them on the phone (or was it email - I can' t remember) they were very motivated to fix me up in time for my hunt, paying for express shipping, etc. - which I didn' t need, after I figured out the mount screw thing, but it was nice to know. Give them a call for sure. Good luck hunting this season - zeke.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got my scope back today, I live in Mo. and sent it back to them last Tuesday Regular UPS, all the way to Oregon. I asked them to hurry cause I wanted to try it this season before it ended, man they sent it back Next-Day Air, I did' nt expect that.

They said they went completely thru it and could' nt find much wrong, I don' t understand, I will try it again.

I have a Redfield base and rings on this rifle, It shot great before I put the leupold on it, and shot great after I put my old scope back on it. The base and rings was not only tight but very tight, The Leupold would shoot a great group but sometimes when you adjusted it just a few clicks it might move the POI several inches, the next time you adjusted it it might not move the POI at all, at one time I had it about 3" to the right, I adjusted it to the left about 3 or 4 clicks and hit about the same hole, I adjusted it again about 3 or 4 clicks and then it shot about 6 or 7 inches to the left, I went thru a whole box of ammo within about an hour an a half with it jumping around like this, again the bases and rings where tight, I put my old scope back on, it shot good, 1 click would move it about 1/4" like it was suppose to, with 5 shots I had it zeroed again.

I hope it does better this time, if not I will send it back again.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:44 PM

That is wierd. A couple of quick ideas which you probably already know about.

First, sometimes when you adjust a scope, it' s fairly common to to " knock" it. You turn the adjustment (clicks), then you rap the scope using your knuckle or a little rubber mallet (I' ve seen guys at the range using things that look like a little doctor' s reflex hammer). This overcomes any sticking in the adjustment. If you don' t, it could happen that moving the adjustment won' t actually move the scope until jarred by the next or subsequent shot. Therefore, that next shot might not actually show the adjustment you tried to make. You therefore adjust again, and the next shot might not show adjustment, or it might show the cumulative adjustments you' ve made because it' s finally moving into place. It can be erratic. This can happen with even the best of scopes, at least as far as I' ve read. I did actually experience it once, so now I kind of just do it habitually. And like I said, I' ve seen guys at the range doing it quite a bit (I just rap it with my knuckles).

Another thing I' ve read about, but not actually experienced. That is when the bottom half of the rings aren' t perfectly aligned - when you tighten down the top half of the rings, it can flex the scope and cause wierd aiming. I haven' t actually experienced this with my Leupold scope w/ burris rings, but I' ve read about it on web sites that talk about mounting new scopes. If this is the case with your rings, it could be that your old scope either settled into this, or was unaffected by it. I believe correcting the ring alignment is called " lapping" and not all that uncommon? Can' t give you a reference, but check for info on mounting new scopes/rings and I believe you' ll find it. Best of luck to you. -zeke
Old 11-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah Zeke, I usually tap it a bit after each adjustment. I hope I owe Leopold a big apoligy and find something else wrong that caused my problem but I don' t know what in the world it would be, I just did' nt have time to mount it again during our season, I will try to get it put on over the next few days and I will try and be sure to post whatever the outcome, I know my gun and I know how it groups, I hope its fixed without having to send it in again, but right now I have my doubts if they did' nt do anything to it, they said they did' nt except take it apart and check it.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:02 AM

Strut,
I' m new to the board and saw your post on Leupold. I have/had the exact same problem as you with my new Leupold 3x9x40 VarXII. Bass Pro in Springfield and my local gunsmith couldn' t get my scope to zero. They checked out everything and finally said to send it in to Leupold. I did and got it back within 5 days. They checked it out and said there was nothing wrong with it. I finally got it to group but the optics are horrible for a Leupold. It just isn' t very clear, less clear than before I sent it in. BTW, I had a Leupold 3x9x50 VarXII that was great. My cheapo Tasco and Busnell scopes have much clearer optics than this scope which really frustrates me. I really don' t know what to do. It cost me about $8 every time I send it back to Leupold which can get costly. Oh well just thought I' d let you know you aren' t the only one that got a bad Leupold. How did yours turn out?

Quick Reply: Leupold, Pooheyyyy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.