Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Satellite Communication Device? >

Satellite Communication Device?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Satellite Communication Device?

Old 01-08-2021, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Satellite Communication Device?

Anyone have personal experience with satellite communication devise such as Zoleo or InReach? I’m interested in being able to send texts when no cell service is available. Thanks for any info . . . Rob
Old 01-09-2021, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Garmin GPS Maps 66i with InReach. I have used an Explorer and a Mini, as well as an older Spot. Satellite communication is more like text messaging 15 years ago where a text might take a minute or two to go out, and if your sky view is occluded, you might need to find higher ground or open sky to transmit. But it’s generally very reliable. As habit, I timestamp my messages. Typing on the 66i is slower and more cumbersome than doing so on my phone, but Bluetoothing to my phone to send messages is a little slower transmitting - ultimately I use my phone to type then tolerate the extra 20-30sec of relay delay. There are two newer models, the Montana 700 and the 86, which I haven’t touched, but if I were back in the market, I would consider them before committing.

Personally, I don’t care for the Mini or other non-mapping models like the Spot. I grew up on paper maps, then as we transitioned to electronic GPS devices, I kept a paper map at hand - two is one, one is none. Now, I prefer to use my phone and my Garmin as my maps, rarely bothering to print paper maps any longer. So I want the mapping feature and screen. I do recommend the 66i, it has worked very well for me.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a moose hunt planned in northern British Columbia. I’m only interested in sending a text back home to let them know what’s going on, and a text to my buddy who will be in another location to see how he is doing.

The Zoleo has my interest as it’s fairly inexpensive, monthly rates are cheap, and it’s pairs with my phone via Bluetooth so can type as I would normally do. Was hoping someone on here might have first hand experience.

. . . Rob