Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which Rifle Scope to BUY??

Old 11-07-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Which Rifle Scope to BUY??

I have a 308 Savage and desperatly need to buy a new scope. I have an old Bushnell and I do not like it at all. I' m just wondering which is the best one to get, I' m also looking for good eye relief and do not want to spend much more than $200CDN. I got a buddy that has a TASCO 4X-9X 44mm and that one is pretty nice.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which Rifle Scope to BUY??

If you only have $200canadian to spend a weaver k-4 is about as good as it gets.I would avoid cheap variables and all tascos,simmons and bsas.If you can come up with a little more cash the v9 weaver 3x9 is a decent scope and sells for $265 canadian
Old 11-07-2003, 07:24 PM

Im not familiar with conversions of canadian money.. but I would go with a Leupold.. you can get a Vx-1.. for cheaper price than the Vx2 and 3.. of go with a Simmons Aetec.. I have never used one but I have heard that they are a good scope for the money.. I have a leupold and can speak for them
Old 11-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should be able to buy a leupold VX2 for about 275.00, they are a great scope. I also have several Tasco World Class scopes and have never had any problem what so ever out of them and for an in-expensive scope they are hard to beat IMO, should be able to pick one up well under a 100.00.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are not familiar with canadian prices.Leupolds are way overpriced here.The cheapest leupold scope here is the vxi 2x7x33 and the lowest price that I have seen listed is $340.The high leupold prices are the reason that most canadians now buy bushnell elites instead of the vxi or vxii or the ziess conquest instead of the vxiii.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wiggler, check out the Aetec 2.8-10 x 44mm by Simmons. I have one and it’s on my 308 Remington. I just sighted it in this Friday and had no problems. Some guys don’t like them but I see nothing wrong with them. It’s not a Leupold but will do the job. They sell them at S.I.R. That’s where I bought mine.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haye you Canadian' s tried mail order? Just curious if you could get better pricing by ordering off the ' net.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most places won' t ship to canada due to the hassles with customs because of our stupid gun laws(which include all firearms parts and many accessories).Even when they do ,adding in the exchange plus duty and customs fees pretty much eats up any savings.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Finding a decent scope for under 200 is a tough task. I do know a couple of guys who use and seem to like the Bushnell Trophy which can be bought for around 170, but eye relief isn' t its strong suit at 3" . One of my hunting partners uses a simmons aetec on his 280 and he has no problems and likes it, they run about 250, eye relief is good. However I bought a gun with an aetec on it used and never care for it as it didn' t track true and seem to shift POI...could have been a lemon though. SJ suggestion of looking at weaver is good one, they are decent for the money. May I also suggest if possible checking some of the shops in your area for used scopes, I saw just recently a few B&L 3000variables for under 200 in excellent condition. Also another one to look for is Redfield(they made some pretty good scopes a few years back) and usually can be found very reasonable.

I would avoid both Tasco and BSAs offerings
Old 11-09-2003, 02:12 PM

I just bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and it has great eye relief. It was only $169. Wish I had held out for the Buckmaster though. I stopped by wally world a few days ago and they had the buck masters for $105. Normally $199. Sometimes you wish you could kick yourself.

Quick Reply: Which Rifle Scope to BUY??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.