Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cold feet!

Old 01-08-2020, 10:26 AM
Spike

Default Cold feet!

Hi,

My wife has really cold feet.

We've tried getting battery heated socks but we've only found
those that have a heating pad in their sole and this is not enough
for her to keep her feet warm.

Anyone know of a heated sock that has a heating pad that
wraps 360 degrees around the foot and toes?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Several years ago I had the same issue, I bought a pair of Itasca boots that have 2000 grams Thinsulate. Many of the other boots I had before were around 800 grams. I didn't really know if more would make a bid difference but with those I just wear one pair of socks unless it gets below zero then I'll put on a second pair. 99% of all my deer hunting is still hunting in a tree stand or ground blind, so no movement to help keep warm. They are the best boots I've had in my 30 plus years of hunting.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JDDD
Hi,

Thanks!
first off welcome to the site
and can you answer a few questions ?
are her feet cold ALL the time, or only when hunting!
as if there cold all the time, you might want her to talk to her DR< might have blood flow/circulation issue's that are causing her the cold feet!

next if NOT cold all the time
can you explain when they get cold?
most cold feet when hunting.sitting on stand, come from sweaty feet issue's, and then when the heat expires from time, that moisture makes things COLD !
good socks are major role in keeping feet warm and dry, same with boots

but JUST adding extra thick socks or boots with heavy amounts of insulation, WON"T make feet stay warm, as if they sweat, or have poor blood circulation problems, all the insulation in the world won;'t help
nor will having heated socks/

SO< to the OP<> if you can describe when and where your wife is trying to keep feet warm, we might be able to offer better suggestions/recommendations!

and I have also tied many pairs of electrical heated socks, gloves, jackets and so on,and IMO< there all JUNK, and more gizzmo and gadget like, than real ways to keep warm,a s once battery's get low or die, your back to having cold and poorly designed products to keep you warm without power!
better things are out there that work without batteries!
Old 01-09-2020, 04:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JDDD
Hi,

Thanks!
I have the same issue with feet and hands. Anything below about 45° and within 2 hrs sitting still and my feet/hands are froze and burning. Turns out I have something called Raynaud's, I think I spelled correctly but it limits blood flow to those micro blood vessels therefore making fingers, toes etc very sensitive to cold. Apparently it's fairly common
Old 01-09-2020, 01:10 PM
Spike

No medical issues.

My wife is "hot" in every other regard LOL!

If anyone knows of a solution, please advise.

BTW: to anyone: do not use cotton. Cotton keeps moisture next to your skin.
Wool "wicks" moisture away from your skin. The original fabric to do this was wool.

Today's man-made materials may mimic wool, but look for something that is designed
to wick moisture away from your skin.

60-80% Merino wool + some nylon/polyester blend for durability. Merino is soft and
doesn't itch. Alpaca is also super-soft and non-itchy. Try for yourself.

Silk keeps warm air close to the skin during cold weather so a pair of silk socks
next to skin followed by merino/alpaca socks may go a long way to keeping cold
feet warm. :-)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

I was a surveyor for over 25 years working outdoors in all kinds of weather. My feet would sweat terribly when walking from station to station, and then would freeze while standing behind the instrument. I found that spraying my feet with an anti-perspirant, using a light silk sock and then a heavy wool sock in my felt lined pac boots helped a lot. I made it a point to stand on a 2 foot square of blue board foam insulation when behind the instrument, and in the real cold I wore a pair of boot blankets over the pac boots with a few of the chemical hand warmer packets inside the boot blankets. It seems like a pain, but nothing is more miserable than cold feet, and these remedies helped me thru some really cold jobs.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

I too get cold toes. It seems even the good boots have compressed insulation in the toe area. Only pac type boots that have the wool shell all around are truly warm there. I have found that Blanket boots help a lot, also straightening your legs and blousing your pants. when you bend you legs you decrease blood flow and tighten the fabric on the tops of the legs reducing insulation. If your legs cool at all, your feet will cool even more.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

so back to my question, WHERE are you trying to keep her feet warm at??
sitting on stand, walking, woods, hiking, or sitting at home on the couch?
all different deals?
you seem to gather good socks and base layering, and that is a HUGE part of it, as you need to have feet dry and well, good blood flow, as in NOT too tight of materials be them liners, socks, or boots!
Old 01-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

The company "Hot Hands" that makes the disposable hand warmers also makes foot warmers similar to insole with a sticky back that goes into your hunting boots. I have not tried them but I do use their hand warmers in my coat pockets becaise I do not wear gloves on stand and they work very well. They may be worth a look.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:48 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Cold toes?
Be aware of shoe size. If it feels tight that reduces circulation and this method will not.work.
Also this is not for walking but if you sit like I do, it works great. Hunting or Ice Fishing.

I use the Normal Hot Hands not the Boot variety.
Wear a thin layer of socks. JUST past your toes, on top of your foot, take the Hot Hands ,lay it flat, and place a strip of tape on each side and attach to your sock.
Then add a second sock to help hold all in place.

Works awesome in Pac boots. But for me far to HOT in other boots when I walk.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.