Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Hunting for a Giant Mountain Whitetail >

Hunting for a Giant Mountain Whitetail

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting for a Giant Mountain Whitetail

Old 08-31-2019, 03:39 AM
Banned

Default Hunting for a Giant Mountain Whitetail

I come from a family of whitetail hunters. All of my oldest hunting memories are of tagging along with my dad and grandpas as they chased deer in the mountains of Western Montana. For a long time before I arrived, my family had a hunting cabin in the Blackfoot valley, which at one time was incredibly productive whitetail habitat. After that cabin went away, camp moved around a bit, but was always in region 1 or 2 of Montana, and always centered around whitetail.

The first several animals I tagged were whitetail bucks. The first being a one horned 3" spike. I shot that buck with my dad, and both grandpas in attendance, on the same ridge line both my dad and brother killed their first buck. Slowly, over time I migrated to 3 and 4 points.

In 2006 I killed the first of what I consider a "big" Mountain Whitetail, and I was absolutely hooked.