Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Warren & Sweat Treestand

Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default Warren & Sweat Treestand

Hey everyone,

I'm new to hunting, and my late uncle left me an archery treestand that I'd like to use. The brand is Warren & Sweat, but because I inherited this, and he wasn't alive to show me how to use it, I'm not sure if I have all the parts to it. First and foremost let me describe the stand itself. It's about 15' tall, and had a ladder that is assembled via three separate pieces. The middle piece of ladder has an attachment that makes contact with the tree for support and allows for some sort of strapping to secure the stand. The top piece of ladder has the platform. This is a very old school style arcgery treestand, wherein the platform is a slab of sturdy wood with metal pieces that rest on the tree. The platform is supported underneath by bars that swing up from the ladder and screw into place underneath the wood. My issue is that this didn't come with any sort of manual, and my uncle wasn't alive to teach me how to use it so I'm at a loss. I want to set it up in the woods to test run it and ensure that it is functioning, but I'm not sure if I have all of the correct attachments and cables.

It came with a few sets of cables/ropes, but I want to ensure I set it up correctly, and the only things I've been able to find online are videos for assembling climbing treestands or a more modern metal treestand for rifle hunters. Anyone with experience with these types or brands of stands, I'd love some advice.

Thanks,

SMBowHunter97
Old 08-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

welcome to the site, and honestly ist going to be hard top help you without some pictures of what all you have or don't

the treestand also sounds like its a VERY old one, they haven't used wood on ladderstands that I know of in about 20 yrs
so safety could be a issue here if the wood is dry or damaged at all, the reasons they stopped making them with wood was a safety reason!
and also, before you TEST the tree stand, you might want to tell us HOW heavy you are with all your hunting gear on, NOT all ladderstands can handle a lot of weight, and this OLD of stand would make me want to be sure about things before using
there are countless NEW treestands that are sold for about 40-50 bucks, NOT free , but if safety is at all a concern , I would say its worth the 40-50 bucks, as they say better safe than sorry!

also look at the welds real good!
welds on older stands can also fail as yrs pass!

so for use to better help you, pleas post some pictures of the things you have, lay them out and also measure how tall the ladder is, I will gather due to age its about a 12 ft one
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Some pictures would help us answer your question.

Also, as mrbb mentioned, there are some great deals out there on ladder stands.

Our local Menards has 15' basic ladder stands for around $70. After the rebate you get it for $60.

-Jake
Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Spike

So here are some photos, the quality of the platform looks like it’s still healthy, but I’m seriously considering what y’all have said about getting a new one. This is about a fifteen feet tall, and the ladder is three pieces. I understand how it it assembles from tinkering with it, but I’m not sure about safety straps and all.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I just use regular ratcher straps on my tree stands.

Inspect and replace them when they need it.

-Jake
Old 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

your pictures never showed up if you posted any?
so maybe try again

as for set up, most l;adder stands, strap to tree at TOP of ladderr, some also strap to tree where your feet are , when at top of ladder and then about HALF way up the ladder there is normally a BAR that is adjustable to control the distance from the ladder to the tree, about 5-6 ft off the ground, and you mount one end to ladder and other to tree, , this also helps make the ladder stronger and from BOWING when your up top, if you follow
also, you shoudl be able to find a TON of video's on Youtube on how ladderstands get set up, most all are CLOSE to teh same set up, just look for one's like your, which will be the very BASIC bare bones one's
as of age of yours, they came a long way in some materials and designs, but they set up pretty darn much the same way

its NORMALLY easier to set them up with two people and a LOT safer as well!
I would suggest practicing setting it up a few times at home with help before trying it alone in the woods!

and again, keep note of weights, a lot of them older stands had like a 200 lb MAX or less rating!, that means YOU all your gear and such

and don't forget that ladder stands are NOT made to be set up and forgot about, tree's GROW and add a crazy amount of stress to straps as they grow, as does UV , which breaks down the materuials in the straps and can cause them to fail
MOST makers suggest removing them ever few weeks, and re doing things,
NOT many follow this rule/suggestion
I tend to replace straps every yr, and even add a few extra's than just what comes with the stand!