Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Thermal gear for Germany? Help >

Thermal gear for Germany? Help

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Thermal gear for Germany? Help

Old 07-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Spike

Default Thermal gear for Germany? Help

I got a question, where i could use some help from expierensed.night-hog-Hunters and Since I am sure that the Most expierensed hunters for this are in the USA, I Need your help. But First excuse my Bad writing. I am out of praxis in english.

Here is the situation:

Most of the time, i hunt in Germany. Here Thermal rifle scopes are forbidden, but you are allowed to use a „Clip-on“ on your regular scope. I now this is stupid, but it‘s the law and I don‘t want to lose my permit.

I Shoot a Remington 7600 (30-06) with a Zeiss Diavari 3x12/56. What is the best thermal „ad-one“ Gear to connect to that scope?
Here is where i need your help.
I usually have to shoot between 100 and 200 yards.

In autum I will be visiting the States and want to buy something good and durable.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

regards & Waidmannsheil (Don‘t worry, this isn‘t Nazi-language, just a Greeting-form especially for Hunters)

Titus
Old 07-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a lot of experience with thermals
and for sure not any clip on's
But I have used a bunch of different high powered led lights designed to be added to a rifle that you can then shoot 200+ yards and ID targets pretty well, as they hold light in tighter patterns and have colors that don't make a lot of if any shadow, so they don't spook most wildlife when you light them up
there designed for hunting at night!
again NOT any where near what a thermal will do, or how they work,
but maybe there legal and would work for you! and save you a lot of MONEY in the process!
do soem online searching for them and your sure to find a lot these days
I won';t bother listing any, as I am not sure they even interest you!
but could name a few if needed!
you will find way more info about these things IMO< on more varmint/hog hunting dedicated forums too!
just so you know,this as well!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've researched it some, though I'm old school and hunt Schwarzwild (Wildboar) in the traditional ways. As far as I know the old standard of shooting hours being an hour and a half after sunset, an hour and a half before sunrise still applies. But the authorities have turned a blind eye to this restriction for Boar hunting for decades. This restriction may have changed for Schwarzwild, depends on the state and local authorities.

There are U.S. export restrictions and German import restrictions. They seem to change periodically. Even pixel restrictions on thermal cameras.

FLIR cameras might be your best bet or a Thermal monocular.

Pulsar makes an interesting attachment for a rifle scope, obviously designed to withstand recoil pulses.

It is my understanding the restrictions are to try and keep the technology out of the hands of unauthorized foreign fighting forces.

IMO thermal sights for night ( or dim light) Boar hunting is a safety issue. You can much better see if there is anything behind the Boar that may be in danger of a miss or passthrough shot.

Probably the easiest way would be to check out what you want and see if Amazon will ship it to Germany,

German customs typically checks 30% of the incoming luggage. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:10 AM
Spike

An extra explanation for my question.
In Northern Europe our Farmers are very scared of the african swine feever.
therefore we need to hunt our boars stronger then ever. If somewhere a infected swine/boar is found, all the pigs in the stables within miles have to be killed and destroyed. This would mean,
more then 50.000 pigs dead and lots of farmers in big trouble. Since the wild boars are to believed
in spreading the disease, our farmers ask us hunters for help.
Since we are densely populated as the US, swines are very carefull and behause of the rising
hunting-pressure they learn quick. As soon as any light goes on, they ran as fast as they can.

That is why i am looking for such a „Clip-on“ thermal Solution. It is the only legal way and I
am Wildling to spend some money. But I want to be sure, that it is the right stuff and the Pulsar
Solutions are very expensive here.
Pulsar Helion XP50 4500 Dollar.
Besides that, Pulsar and Dipol are the only ones on the market. Since you guys in the US have
much more expierence with this stuf, I would like to know, if there are more providers and
if Pulsar is cheaper in the States.
As far as I know, only Generation 4 is not allowed to export. So are there good thermals-clip-on
in Generation 2 and 3? Hopefully not as expensive as here in Germany.

If there is a website, which is more specialized in Boarhunting with nightVision, please let
me know.

If if you guys can help me, GREAT.

Thanks for your answers so far

Last edited by Titus; 07-20-2019 at 01:11 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I again get the fact your wanting a thermal, but lights like these are designed to NOT scare wildlife when you turn them on
we have many many game animals here that are very light sensitive and most times you can use these lights on them and they never even move, some times they might move a little, but its NOT like a normal light turned on
as normal lights turn on shadows and that is a lot of what spooks light sensitive animals
these lights were kinda of designed for hunting hogs too

as again, just something else to consider, as they can be mounted right on a gun, and have a pressure switch to make it FAST to get on target, urn light ion and fire!
saving you again a bunch of $$ and maybe less worry about the legal side of things for you,
once in the USA< have a look at the, maybe get one of each and see what works for you, thermal or something like these!
there NOT very costly to TRY one!, sure you could maybe even buyt now and have shipped before making your trip here and then decide if you need to go higher tech!

Hogs are a never ended expanding problem here in a lot of parts of the USA too, just cannot kill enough of them, they breed faster than there being reduced in numbers!
our problems here are more about habitat destruction, than illness, but sure that will happen at the rate there populating and expanding at some point!
here is a link to some decent lights! can go on youtube and see videos of them and others from NON makers to be a more honest review too

https://elusivewildlife.com/shop/hunting-lights.html
Old 07-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Spike

Hello Mrbb,

thanks a lot for your Information. Believe it or not, in Germany it is not allowed to point a laser or light at the boars by night😱
But, an the other hand, it is hard to control😎. Good Idea! When I am in Washinton or Charlottesville in October, I will look for a good huntingstore and have a good Look. If I find a good one, I will take one with me.
Another American hunter advised me the PARD NV007. Maybe they are good to combine.

Thanks again and if you got some more ideas, I am curious!

Waidmannheil to you in the USA!

Titus
Old 07-21-2019, 02:02 PM
Spike

@ Motherchuck

Pulsarstuff is very expensive here. Up to 15% plus.
for Example : Pulsar Helion XP50 4500 Dollar.

what would be the best rate in the US.

About the import/export restrictions, as far as I know, only Generation 4 Stuff is not allowed to export from the States.

Are there some good American products on the market.

On the other hand, good second hand Zeiss and Swarovski scopes and binoculars are cheaper here. So If I could return
a favor, just say so. Could bring them in October.

Regards

Titus

Last edited by Titus; 07-21-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know a lot of folks hunt hogs over bait, or bait a area and then hunt near it, in DAY time, , last hour before dark is a prime time, and a goo way to get a few knocked down!

the same company I posted also has feeder lights that work off motion, I know you said shining a light on them is illegal
so not sure if that would work, but is a option here in many places, you can set up a 100 yards a way or so, and wait for them to light themselves up and get on them! ,
Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will ask you a odd question, off topic here
and NOT sure if you know of them or not, or if still available over your way
But Swarvoski used to make a rifle scope called the LRS model and came in a 3x12 variable set up
I owned one when they came out, ( I was a authorized dealer for them)
but sold it, as wasn't practical to keep for me, as it just mounted so high on a rifle!,.
not for my liking's, for a rifle scope!
BUT it was one awesome accurate range finder, I know they sold over in Europe a lot more and longer than they did in the USA
do you know if there still for sale over your way?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
I will ask you a odd question, off topic here
and NOT sure if you know of them or not, or if still available over your way
But Swarvoski used to make a rifle scope called the LRS model and came in a 3x12 variable set up
I owned one when they came out, ( I was a authorized dealer for them)
but sold it, as wasn't practical to keep for me, as it just mounted so high on a rifle!,.
not for my liking's, for a rifle scope!
BUT it was one awesome accurate range finder, I know they sold over in Europe a lot more and longer than they did in the USA
do you know if there still for sale over your way?
I found one, used for 1780,-€. They are not produced anymore. There Maximun Range was 300 Meters (so I red) and
had some Problems. That’s why, they did not sell to many and stopped the production.

Their new „model“ with rangefinding is :Swarovski dS 5-25x52 P which costs 3700,-€.

Regards Titus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.