Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Zippo Handwarmers?

Old 11-18-2018, 01:58 PM
Spike

Tried them today for the first time. Performance is about on par with a Hot Hands pack. A Hot Hands pack, however, lasts longer. I followed the directions for the Zippo hand warmer, and it lasted about 5 hours (6 hours advertised), so it worked fine for my morning hunt. When it went out, it went out completely. A Hot Hands pack tends to slowly burn down, and can still be warm 10 hours or so after you activate it. That said, Hot Hands are a bit expensive at almost a dollar a piece if bought in bulk, and the Zippo hand warmer uses a very small amount of lighter fluid to burn for five hours, so the Zippo may be more economical in the long run -- especially if you go through Hot Hands packets like we do in my hunting party!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

I started this thread and used the Zippo heater this past hunting season. I filled it up once I got to my stand and they worked fine for 7-8 hrs. I had it in a hand muff (or whatever they are called) and held onto the warmer most of the time because I was afraid if it was on it's side that it would go out. I found that to be the case when I first filled it and ran the heater in the camper. I like it better than the disposable packets as they do not seem to get hot enough. I only have 1 right now but I will have 2 by next hunting season.