Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rangefinder recommendation

Old 03-07-2018, 12:09 AM
Spike

Default Rangefinder recommendation

I need a rangefinder for hunting mostly. I have a Tectectec Pro rangefinder that is a very accurate rangefinder. When the deer are out to 50 to 60 yds I start to have trouble guessing the correct range.I hunt quite a few different area's.
Now I want to buy Sig Kilo 2000.

Its specification is:
Magnification Range: 7x
Finish: Matte black w/Rubber
Objective: 25mm
Eye Relief: 0.59? (15mm)
FOV: 34.6? @100 yards
Max Range: 3400 yards on Reflective targets
1500 yards on trees
1200 yards on deers
Reticle: Circle with data
Battery: CR2

If this rangefinder could do that for me or you have any other opinion, I would be happy.
Thanks for any opinions.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Leupold RX-650 for rifle deer hunting over gentle sloping upland. It seems to work well and cost far less then the fancy models, I paid $133 for it.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sig Kilo 2000 will do what you need. And a lot more. The 850 or 1250 would do the ranges you need for lower cost. It’ll do more than 1500yrds on trees, farthest I have ranged a building has been 3200yrds, deer at 900, never tried farther. I can hit my 66% IPSC with my Sig 2000 at 1000, if ranged supported.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Spike

Thank for giving me the suggestion.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Leupold RX-650 laser range finder (or the next model up, I don't remember), and it works pretty well. I would say I wouldn't want to be fussing with my range finder while the prey is in sight. What I do when I'm elk hunting is range to some objects in my shooting lanes and identify shoot/don't shoot thresholds. So, if I'm willing to shoot out to 250 yards but not to 275 yards, I'll identify a tree or a rock at about 260 yards and figure if the elk is past it, don't shoot, if the elk is this side of it, shoot. You might do this with your deer ranging. Judging from the short ranges you are referring to, I assume you are a bow hunter. You might need to identify several different ranges in order to adjust where you line-up your sighting pins. That is less of an issue with a rifle, at least for me. I'm not shooting out to 400 yards and having to add a hold over into my calculations.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Have you thought about the Lieca's. They give you some of the best optics and will range from 11 to whatever model number youget in yds. or meters. They may be a little more money but worth more than the extra cost you spend. If you buy a model 1600 they will range a deer to 1600 maybe more. They also have many features you may never use but if you need them they are there.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Spike

I've tested the new Nikon Black 4k and Leupold RX-2800 and I think they're both great options. The 4k definitely has more range, in fact, I was able to get 2400 on trees and 2800 on rocks. A friend of mine was able to get 3400 on a water tank, but neither of us has been able to find any animals to range past 1200 yet. I really like the built-in features of the Leupold with the W/DNA, but if you don't need that data, then I'd probably save a little money and buy the Nikon. Also, if you don't need quite the ranges that I mentioned, the Nikon 3000 Stabilized is pretty impressive. I didn't think that I would need image stabilization as much as I did, but it certainly helps at over 1,000 yards. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

For me it was a price issue, to much and it is just not worth it to me. I got a Leopold 850. For bow hunting a at real close ranges I wish it had lower power to find the target. The range is easy to read. But the text can be a little tough. But I havn't played with the features much.

Ideally I think a low power one for up close and something else for long stuff. I bought mine based on bigger zoom. Probably should not have.

Also eats batteries and they are odd. Should just find a place on internet and buy a box. Not the CRs but some odd one.

Some negatives, but happy enough with it. Some people get very picky on this topic, and maybe they are right. But for me the higher prices take me longer to decide to buy..

The one feature I did want is the angle compensation for distance. If you are on a hill or stand it will tell you horizontal distance, which is what you need, not the total distance, which bullet and arrow dont care about.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Spike

I use a 1600B leica hunting rangefinder that works well, is light and compact. According the reviews, sig would be a good option as well. Leica is a new model at this time, so a proven model is available for sale in several places.

Last edited by Wiwagner; 09-14-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would start with this, HOW far do you plan to shoot deer at?
as there is no reason to get a super high costing range finder if your not shooting far
and I never get how so many of the real far reading one's have such small 6-7 power magnification, very hard to be precide on a small target at 1000+ yards?
a slight off and your WAY off on things or can be

if I was ranging anything far I would spend the extra money and but a top shelf pair of binoculars with 10 power and a range finder built into them so I could be more accurate in my readings, and not have to carry two items with me
I have also owned a bunch of different range finders from ones that could read up to 7 miles away(russiam military that cost a few grand) to many of the hand held one's I also SOLD all sorts of them and been in the 1,000 yard plus shooting game since the 80's, as for my experience here goes!
the main question might be more valuable to know is again HOW far do you need to range game and plan to shoot at them at!
over kill is not always better! or money well spent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.