Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Questions

Old 01-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Questions

Ive never been hunting due to lack of funds so i was wondering how much does it cost on average to hunt. I already own a rifle so im wondering about supplies besides a rifle i might need for like a day worth of hunting. Also how do you find the location.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure somebody who hunts in ND will pipe up but in general, you would need to attend and pass a Hunter Safety Course before you can get a hunting license. The course is usually inexpensive and has a lot of good info that you would find useful.

What kind/caliber rifle do you have and what are you interested in hunting?

Also, depending on what you're hunting, it can be fairly inexpensive.

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-24-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I'm sure somebody who hunts in ND will pipe up but in general, you would need to attend and pass a Hunter Safety Course before you can get a hunting license. The course is usually inexpensive and has a lot of good info that you would find useful.

What kind/caliber rifle do you have and what are you interested in hunting?

Also, depending on what you're hunting, it can be fairly inexpensive.
I have a .308win rifle and i guess something medium to large like deer or bear if ND has them. I know they have coyote do you have any experience in eating coyote meat?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 90sbb
I have a .308win rifle and i guess something medium to large like deer or bear if ND has them. I know they have coyote do you have any experience in eating coyote meat?
You are new to hunting. I don't know that many people eat coyotes much. Although I can't speak for NoDak folks. The value is in the pelt. Deer, bear, elk, are usually what's on the menu. Plus they are bigger targets.

Last edited by Wingbone; 01-25-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2018, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

If ya got the clothes to stay warm, Boots to keep feet dry and warm, Rifle and the right ammunition, Knife for skinning and butchering. These would be the main things. After that Bino's, Deer cart, Cooler for meat, and so on.

Basically hunting can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. The main thing is make sure you have all the proper licenses and tags along with permission on where you will be hunting. Then just get out there and enjoy nature. Truthfully taking of the animal is just the icing on the cake.

You can eat coyote as I have seen several recipes online but I have never tried it personally.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:30 PM
Spike

Just remember this one rule! Any money you spend will be by far the best money spent In your life for the enjoyment, excitement, memory making, lasting friendships you make etc, etc. I could go on and on for days on how great just being able to get out and hunt is. You need to get out and find out for yourself.

Last edited by Liv2hunt; 01-25-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

if you can find an experienced mentor , it will help a great deal.
youll learn much faster with an experienced partner

and spend time getting into good physical condition,
obviously youll need a licence and maybe permits a few topo maps of the area
you intend to hunt helps. good comfortable boots with decent tread,

if your seriously hunting you'll commonly cover a decent amount of distance,in a days hunt.

on most hunts youll want a day pack,a decent cheap knife,

youll want a wide brim hat

carry a back pack with some basics like a 2 ltr plastic bottle of water, toilet paper,
heres a quick memory jog list, for hunt day pack
(remember you might be forced to stay out over night, & weather is unpredictable)
skinning knife
kukri
compact blade sharpener
compass
area topo maps
canteen
licences
cell phone
several lighters
granola bars
rain poncho
2 gallon zip lock bags
small block & tackle hoist & rope(50 ft parachute cord)
spare ammo
heavy hoodie jacket
a dozen 2 gallon zip lock bags for boned venison
to keep the sun out of your eyes, a good hats helpful,
a cartridge stock sleeve comes in handy and costs less than $10

but having a back pack that will allow you to transport 50lbs-80lbs of boned out venison would be a good idea
(no mater how fit you think you are packing out a deer or elk over typical terrain will let you know in short order,
your not quite in the shape you thought you were in)

remember you could get hurt, lost , or just find your out well past dark or caught in a major weather event.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 01-26-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 90sbb
A .308 is perfect for deer and bear. I don't eat coyote but do shoot them. Most cattle ranches prefer you shoot them. In CA, we can't sell the pelts unless we have a trapping license and jump through quite a few hoops. We can still hunt them though and the bears like them.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

While you are thinking gear, a good flashlight can come in handy. I carry a small Rayovac Indestructible 250 lumen job with extra AAA batteries. It is a little heavy for a flashlight but it keeps working and costs about $15. This, like some other gear is useful in daily life too so it is not just a hunting expense.

For me, the enjoyment in hunting is not in the shooting of animals. It is the being outdoors with friends and family enjoying nature, helping a grandson spot game, field dress a deer, etc. The most important thing to learn about hunting(in my opinion) is safety with a firearm. Far too many hunters are accidently shot by themselves and others, safety with a firearm can not be stressed too much. Be safe and enjoy!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Spike

I’ve been deer hunting from a blind for years now. No need for high dollar specialty hunting clothes. All I need is my hunters orange on me and on my blind. Pretty cheap way to hunt when I can wear regular lower cost winter clothes. However..... I do think paying for good thermal underwear is smart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.