Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Portable Tent Heater

Old 07-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have not addressed anyone, that has not addressed me first.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Berserker
Read my posts over again, in chronological order, which means from the begining.

But ya, I look down on folks in PA scared of 30-06s and trolls. The troll here, has done nothing to change my opinion of trolls.
I've read every one of your posts and there aren't more than 3 or 4 out of your 30 that make one bit of sense and that includes every single one you've made tonight! You had better stop while you're behind, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-24-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

Read them again. You have already proved you have trouble with that.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Berserker
Read them again. You have already proved you have trouble with that.
Nope, no trouble at all figuring you write at about a 5th grade level, LOL!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there's a lot of speculation and conjecture passing around here, but little first hand experience using tent heaters. I primarily own the Mr. Heater Lil' Buddy heaters in our blinds, but have used them camping for years as well. The down side for that purpose is that a bottle only lasts about 6hrs. It's not recommended they be used in enclosed tents, both for CO poisoning and CO2 asphyxiation, but also for risk of fire or personal burns - but if a guy manages his kit properly, they're no more dangerous than having a gas fired furnace in your house. I have used one while camping in late season for years, it just takes a little work and common sense. A guy can anchor/support the heater and ventilate the tent well enough - the heat rises, keep a top flap open and a fresh air vent open near the floor and you'll be ok. The downside is that they WILL suck in cold air, and if they AREN'T sucking cold air, then you'll die. Most tents have mesh windows and many have vented peaks - as long as you have a "chimney effect" going, you'll be fine. Again, the bad part will be the fact you'll burn a bottle per night, so you have to carry a buttload of gas (pun not intended) if you're staying for more than a few nights.

Electric heaters are only SLIGHTLY safer as an option, and the biggest downside is the need for a generator. I have used a generator outside of a truckbed tent or camper for many years. When I was rodeo'ing out of a conversion van, I had a generator bolted to a hitch-mounted cargo rack to power a window AC & heat unit (among other amenities) and we could sleep inside the van without much bother. The generator will run more fuel per heat unit than the little "bottle burners," so they do put out a lot more fume, and if you place your generator near your pick-up, you can still gas yourself to death. They're also a lot heavier and larger to haul around.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: A guy shouldn't really need a heater in their tent over night - let me rephrase that - a guy shouldn't be using a heater in their tent overnight. A good sleeping bag and a good tent will keep you plenty warm, assuming you hydrated and ate well during your day, and own an appropriate bag. Insulate yourself from the ground. A cot can elevate you to get you off of the cold ground, but throw gear around the sides or underneath to keep the air under the cot from moving (no cost air insulation). When my wife and I camp, we sleep with the heater off, then bring it into the tent in the morning to get dressed, then maybe have it in the tent before we go to sleep at night to cut the chill, or provide kick-starting warmth for any amorous activity which might occur. If you need a heater while sleeping, you have the wrong gear - your tent should be small enough to act as air insulation, and your sleeping bag should handle the rest of the work. If you bag isn't suitable for your ambient temps, or your tent is too big such you have too much cold air around you, then you have the wrong gear.

An electrical heater with a small generator would be a good option for a truckbed tent. Don't go overboard, get a Jerry can and a ~2,000watt generator (pretty inexpensive), then a relatively small radiant heater. A Lil' Buddy will burn you out of a 2-4 person tent in a matter of minutes, maybe even be hot enough to melt the roof if you're not careful. I stay warm enough with a Lil' Buddy with my blind fully open, which is a lot bigger volume than most tents I've ever used. I like the Lil'Buddy heaters because they're smaller and more portable, and I have never loved the idea of using electrical gear on a camping trip, but my wife and I do have a 10,000watt portable and a couple convection heaters, all of it works. Insulate yourself from the bed of your truck - there's a lot of metal beneath you, and a lot of cold air blowing beneath your bed which will suck the heat out of you in a truckbed tent.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Huh. Zippered mesh windows? Sort of like a deer blind with windows.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

NM448: "An electrical heater with a small generator would be a good option for a truckbed tent. Don't go overboard, get a Jerry can and a ~2,000watt generator (pretty inexpensive), then a relatively small radiant heater. A Lil' Buddy will burn you out of a 2-4 person tent in a matter of minutes, maybe even be hot enough to melt the roof if you're not careful. I stay warm enough with a Lil' Buddy with my blind fully open, which is a lot bigger volume than most tents I've ever used. I like the Lil'Buddy heaters because they're smaller and more portable, and I have never loved the idea of using electrical gear on a camping trip, but my wife and I do have a 10,000watt portable and a couple convection heaters, all of it works. Insulate yourself from the bed of your truck - there's a lot of metal beneath you, and a lot of cold air blowing beneath your bed which will suck the heat out of you in a truck bed tent."

An electric heater and small generator are exactly what I told him he should use in the other thread he started. I've got a Big Buddy and a Little Buddy that I've used in two different size trailers and they aren't really for tents unless its an awfully big tent or they will do just as you mentioned.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also agree, for over night, a truck bed tent with the sides and bed insulated and a good sleeping bag and you should not need a heater unless you are in sub zero weather and if that is the case, you are camping in the wrong shelter.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-26-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Spike

Default Camping Heater for a tent

I appreciate the information. Like you said a good sub-zero bag and adequate insulation would be better than making a bad choice.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, you my wake up a little chilly, but you will wake up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.