Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Gander Mountain

Old 03-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gander Mountain

Rumor is that they are about to declare bankruptcy.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

I believe I saw where they filed chapter 11 staying open but re-organizing ! My take is they did this to themselves--when the first opened they were a real outdoorsperson store, The past few years they have turned into a yuppie urban housewives store, take a look, you will mostly see clothing mostly for women but some for men that have absolutely nothing to do with hunting or fishing unless your wish to be a model in a high fashion catalogue, The actuls hunting and fishine merch has been compacted down to only a few choices, the center of the store has been taken over by luscious colors and patterns of yuppie clothing
Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that Academy Sports and Dunhams have al lot of clothing too. Academy still keeps a lot of guns, ammo, optics, fishing gear, camping gear and outdoor cooking items tho. Dunhams has some guns and ammo but not a lot. I guess this could vary in other parts of the country.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

36 mile drive to gander mountain from my house, Local gun shop is 21 miles. But I wanted 10 MTM rifle ammo boxes.

Go in the store and they only have one on the shelf, so I want to ask the counter employee. He is busy I thought helping a blonde woman so I strolled around the store shelf shopping, 1/2 hour later I am back at the counter and he is still with the blonde. I decide I will buy the one since I had drove all that way. Stopped at the local gun shop on the way home and by 9 more for a dime more per box.

Doesn't break my heart GM is in money trouble and I won't drive 3.6 miles to buy from them again let a lone 36 miles, they can KMA.

I like my local Dunham's, employees are helpful and they know their guns and ammo in that department, they have other people who works shoes and boots, and more that work exercise dept, and always give me a Veterans discount when I ask.

Al
Old 03-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

When they opened a store outside Richmond it was a mess from day one. Opening day the shelves were barely stocked, prices were not posted and big displays were very disorganized. The week before hunting season gun opener BASS Pro was packed and Gander had less han 40 cars in their parking lot. Saw their demise coming real soon. I was right on as were many others.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

They are closing em up all over here in Pa.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

I just learned this morning they have cancelled the order of Cannon downriggers they agreed to send me on Feb. 21, they kept delaying me and delaying me, called again today, finally said they cancelled order, to hell with Gander Mountain, if they can or will not stand by what they agreed to do, I will never buy another thing from them and urge and others to do the same.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 AM
Spike

Gander Mountain did this to themselves...they are OVERPRICED!! Even their "sales" are not good. I stopped in one not long ago and still found the same problem. I have also heard that they do a lot of bait and switch with their ads. With a ton of on-line and other brick and mortar competition, you would think they would have smartened up and got their prices in line a long time ago. As far as them going out of business, quite frankly, I don't care either way, I don't shop there.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Spike

Not overpriced anymore lol.. I got a good deal on everything I bought last week. Our Store is closing First week of Aug and reopening as Gander Outdoors later I guess. Hopefully the prices will be better. Good news is we are getting a Cabelas the day Gander closes.